New
Find
Notify
Tools

Metalwork question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When installing a swivel barrel band, how far should it be from the forend of the stock?

My barrel is 22" from the end of the action
face, what should be the fore end length of the stock from the face of the action when installing a barrel band?

I can't tell from any photos, as they all look
different? bewildered

Thanks for the replies!

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a 1941 Husqvarna, this ones out there. Yep, they are all different.

333okh, Ya like this stock for your rifle?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it, GSP7-

Looks a little like a Type B.

Lots of barrel hanging off that short fore end.

Very, very classic.

flaco

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:

How on Earth did you know I would be looking at this post?????????

I do like the profile, but I want the upturned English tip on the forearm.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I just measured several recent vintage custom rifles. The foreend all measured between 8" and 10-1/2" from the front ring. The sling swivels (at the centerline) were from 1-1/2" to 3-1/4" from the forearm.

If I were spec'ing the rifle, I'd ask for an 8-1/4 to 8-3/4" foreend with the sling swivel 1-3/4 to 2-1/4" from the the end of the forearm.

A lot of the European makers used foreends as short as 6" with swivels 4-6" out on the barrel. That just looks dated to me now.

If you use the "Golden Ratio" or "Devine Proportion" of 1.618034, you'll calculate a foreend length of 8.4" with 13.6" of barrel outside of the foreend with a 22" barrel. That works about right for me.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
Lol...recent vintage. That's a oxymoron

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Here is a 1941 Husqvarna, this ones out there. Yep, they are all different.

GSP7:

That stock is a beauty. What is the barrel length on that rifle? Any idea if any stock makers have that pattern available?

Thanks,

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jordan, The barrel is 24 1/2"

I dont know of a paticular stock maker that has that pattern. I have asked around alot. Im making my own pattern and looks like Ill be getting a rifle just like that one shipped to me next week. FN m98 action , 9.3x57 dancing.

http://allans-armory.com/images/guns/141702-001-web.jpg

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
oooh,, Forrest, Good imfo i'm about to cut off a forend on a pattern stock. Im going to save that "Golden devine proportion ratio" Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
I just measured several recent vintage custom rifles. The foreend all measured between 8" and 10-1/2" from the front ring. The sling swivels (at the centerline) were from 1-1/2" to 3-1/4" from the forearm.

If I were spec'ing the rifle, I'd ask for an 8-1/4 to 8-3/4" foreend with the sling swivel 1-3/4 to 2-1/4" from the the end of the forearm.

A lot of the European makers used foreends as short as 6" with swivels 4-6" out on the barrel. That just looks dated to me now.

If you use the "Golden Ratio" or "Devine Proportion" of 1.618034, you'll calculate a foreend length of 8.4" with 13.6" of barrel outside of the foreend with a 22" barrel. That works about right for me.

Thanks Forrest! thumb

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
All of mine are between 1 1/2" to 2".

IMO, GSP7's rifle is classic, not dated. White line spacers are dated, not classic stir

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Terry! thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bit late I suppose, but Great American Gunstocks has a pattern similar to this. Lot's of luck though.

Posts: 33 | Location: SW Oklahoma | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With Quote