Find
Notify
Tools

Wiebe & Martini 416 Rigby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a very beautiful rifle.
Duane, if I were building rifles for a living and had to regulate the sights, I would build no larger than 300 Win. Mag.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
duane, is there a style for the stock on the rifle or is it a product of the customer's needs/desires? mhc_tx?

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane is obviously proud and pleased with his work - that last picture of him to the left of the rifle says it all! Wink

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
Duane is obviously proud and pleased with his work - that last picture of him to the left of the rifle says it all! Wink

Duane is taller than that and slightly better looking.

My wife hates the"monkey" as she calls it. I will come home from work and she will have him stuck in the corner facing the wall (like he is in trouble or something)....she say's he creeps her out.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsl3170:
duane, is there a style for the stock on the rifle or is it a product of the customer's needs/desires? mhc_tx?

I won't pretend to speak for Duane, but from what I have seen Duane definitely has his own style.

Here is one that Duane did for me:

And here is one that could be described as a "Classic American" style (not done by Duane):

Call me crazy, but to my eye there are worlds of difference.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MHC-TX,
fine BBrifle,
Im more into lighter more nimble medium bore rigs,
So Id also welcome photos of Brno 21s coming out of Duanes shop.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You continue to show your ass.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regardless of their style, both of those rifles are beautiful examples of the riflemaker's art, and I would love to own either one of them, or both!!! Big Grin Style wise they have to be different. The mauser has a drop box and the Model 70 doesn't.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, why did you delete your post? I'm not so easily offended.

I could care less if someone doesn't like either rifle. I like them, and since I paid for them, I'm the only one that I have to please.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are correct WRF.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Style wise they have to be different. The mauser has a drop box and the Model 70 doesn't.

True, but there is much more difference than that. The Wiebe rifle has much more drop at the heel, and a forearm that is quite a bit shorter. You'd really see the difference better if I would have photographed both rifle with the barrels on the same plane. Since the Wiebe rifle's barrel is pointed more towards the bottom of the picture, the drop is less noticeable.

As a side note, I wish I had known Duane before I started the bottom rifle. He would have gotten the job. Not that there is anything wrong with, or inferior about the bottom rifle, I just like Duane's style, workmanship and ribbing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAS II:
Shootaway, why did you delete your post? I'm not so easily offended.

I could care less if someone doesn't like either rifle. I like them, and since I paid for them, I'm the only one that I have to please.
At first I thought that I liked the stock on MHT_CX's more than yours,then I thought yours was more slimmer and clean cut than MHC_TX's....so,being confused,I deleted my post.One thing is for sure,they are both fine rifles.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:

This is an anatomy lesson in Leupold scopes!! The lens is actually an inch aft of the front of the tube. To move the scope forward WOULD place a crush on the lens. No...the ring belongs where it's at.

Beautiful rifle Duane.
I would also like to chime in on Leupold scopes. They are great scopes, but...Over the years they just keep making the tubes tooo short!!
It's gotten to the point that you almost can't mount one on a rifle without custom or extended rings. Look at these two rifles posted by CAS II. These scopes are at their rear most position. When you combine a long length of pull and crank that variable scope up, you simply don't have a full field of view. Has anyone else had this problem? Leupold pleads deaf, dumb, and blind. Maybe it's just me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I have not had complaints about the eye relief..except at higher power, the relief becomes shorter...not so on S&B, Swarovski, Zeiss

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommyhawk:
Look at these two rifles posted by CAS II. These scopes are at their rear most position. When you combine a long length of pull and crank that variable scope up, you simply don't have a full field of view. Has anyone else had this problem? Leupold pleads deaf, dumb, and blind. Maybe it's just me.

It's just you. Of course the field of view gets smaller when you crank up the magnification, that is not debatable and not exclusive to Leupold scopes.

There are no FOV or eye relief issues with either of the scopes on my rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I chose the Leupold 1.5-5x for my rifle, because I wanted a TRIM 416 Rigby. If I had went with one of the euro-straight tube scopes, I would of had to move the front claw ring out on to the q-rib (remember this type of detachable scope mount needs to tip and rotate forward to detach). In my opinion, the bigger 30mm euro-scopes would have totally changed the lines and handling of the rifle. I also wanted the front ring mounted on the front bridge.......this is all a personal choice.

I have hunted in Africa quite a bit with this same scope and 95% of my shooting has been on 3x or less. I also do not have any field of view issues on 5x. Also, these big 416 Rigby actions tend to make the Leupold look smaller.

I really don't think there is a wrong or right answer.......it really just comes down to user preference.

If you recall, ForrestB posted pictures of his 416 Rigby that Duane just built for him........he chose the Swarovski Z6 and mounted the front ring out on the q-rib.....he also had Duane grind off the front bridge. We are going to get together in the near future and compare and contrast the two rifles side-by-side.

Here is a picture of ForrestB's rifle with the Z6.....this is the exact same GMA action, except the front bridge has been removed.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:

If you recall, ForrestB posted pictures of his 416 Rigby that Duane just built for him........he chose the Swarovski Z6 and mounted the front ring out on the q-rib.....he also had Duane grind off the front bridge. We are going to get together in the near future and compare and contrast the two rifles side-by-side.

I really hope you two don't get together and compare notes...I hate to say it but his rifle really does put yours to shame. I was hitting the bottle pretty hard when I was building your rifle.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just found this thread ... lovely rifle! <<<sigh>>>

Duane, you really are GIFTED Smiler

(This kinda work makes me wish I was still workin' rather than being retired, or that I had chosen my parents better! Wink )

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane, Put some some "starter" pictures of my 505 and 416 pair of Heym Magnum Mausers, either here or in the new Custom Rifle Forum. Folks would probably like to see the progression from raw to gorgeous...Biebs

Posts: 20142 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:

I really hope you two don't get together and compare notes...I hate to say it but his rifle really does put yours to shame. I was hitting the bottle pretty hard when I was building your rifle.

Very funny...FORREST!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane, I am in awe of the overall look you get. I'm an amateur stockmaker. I saved the dimensions you posted for the scholorship rifle and intend to follow them when I make my daughters stock this year. Please, keep posting the great pictures of your work. It's just the best. Sorry Forrest, I don't mean to give him a big head but what can I say. ??? DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that bolt shroud standard Granite Mtn.? I'm not familiar with them. It has a Ruger 77 look about it.

It's always a pleasure to see a master craftsman's work. Very nice indeed!

Posts: 135 | Location: Colorado Mtns. | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JC375
posted Hide Post
Great rifle. I almost bought that blank from Adam, and it turned out great. I would like to ask why is the scope mounted so far back in the rings? Thanks for sharing the pics of this rifle.

JC

Posts: 102 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Any left handed shooters here who seriously like this rifle can e-mail me as yesterday I located a very similar rifle for sale
GMA left handed action, 416 Rigby, Smithson mounts with Leupold 1-4x, and all metal work also by Martini, engraved quarter rib and floorplate. Don't know who the stocker was but similar style with pancake cheek piece. The owner wants $10,000 which seems to be a bargain. I have no vested interest but can e-mail photos and address of owner if interested.
grizskins@att.net

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote