New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win. 70 Safari Express modification?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have two Winchester M70 Safari Express rifles (NIB), a 375 H&H and a 458 win. mag. Both rifles are wood stocked and blue.

I purchased the 375 H&H as a back-up DGR and general purpose rifle, possibly make into an all weather rifle. The 458 win. mag not sure what I may do, sell or keep, not sure just yet.

1) Would like to have your thoughts on modifications you would make to a M70 for DG use.
2) I can always use the 458 as a back-up DGR, sell it, or convert it to a 458 Lott....

Wide open to ideas on modifications, etc.

Thanks,

jjs

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't worked on the "NEW" M-70's for a time now...maybe things have improved.

Does the magazine spring have a "loop" at the bottom (floorplate?)

If so, this loop was put there so you could not get in another round...though there was room...made the rounds "pigeon toed" if you replaced the spring with a conventional configuraion.

In short. though the sound basic design was there, the bean counters at US Repeating Arms designed a generiac action..supposedly capable of feeding a wide range of cartridges...which meant, of course, it fed nothing real well.

The action is damn fine, but I found that making a new magazine box, using pre 64 follower and spring and modifying the rails (ala pre 64) you had essentially a very fine controlled feed M-70 in the finest tradition...Oh yeah! gotta do something about tha buttugly bolt handle!

The 458 had about the same issues, but thrown in was a throat a half mile long..brought velocitie down to about 45-70 class....but...again this can be fixed

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sights on the 375 I owned were nothing special. Had I kept it I'd have upgraded them. Would a serious fella ever have his smith weld the multipiece bolt into a single unit?

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
I really like the Safari express rifles. I have a 375,458, and a 404 Jeff that I just got back from a stockmaker.

You could use either of those rifles as donors. The 300 rum mag box is available from midwest gun works and the stock 375 follower works fine.
A rebarrel and your off and running.

I left the bolt handle stock, but someday may have it upgraded. The jeffery is a nice conversion even though some purists would turn their noses up.

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:

If so, this loop was put there so you could not get in another round...though there was room...made the rounds "pigeon toed" if you replaced the spring with a conventional configuraion.

In short. though the sound basic design was there, the bean counters at US Repeating Arms designed a generiac action..supposedly capable of feeding a wide range of cartridges...which meant, of course, it fed nothing real well.

The action is damn fine, but I found that making a new magazine box, using pre 64 follower and spring and modifying the rails (ala pre 64) you had essentially a very fine controlled feed M-70 in the finest tradition...Oh yeah! gotta do something about tha buttugly bolt handle!

The 458 had about the same issues, but thrown in was a throat a half mile long..brought velocitie down to about 45-70 class....but...again this can be fixed

Duane,

Thanks for the feeback. It looks like there is sort of a loop but shows up next to the follower...

Is Sound Metal Products going to make a mag. box and bottom metal unit for the Model 70 "classic"?

FAST996,

From your pics that is a nice looking rifle. I have a custom 404 Jeffery, on a GMA action, in the works....

Appreciate the input and ideas...

Thanks,

jjs

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
Thanks jjs,

I found this little tid bit from a search here on AR. AD was probably Mr. Winchester as there are many posts by Allen. I probably get flack but I always found Allen interesting.

quote:
I agree with that. Off-the-shelf rifles are seldom fit for dangerous game purposes as they come from the factory. With the Model 70 Classic--and this is for starters--the extractor needs to be replaced with an aftermarket extractor that's built of real spring steel; the feeding system needs to be adjusted, as does the trigger, plus rebedding can pay big dividends.

At least with the Model 70 and rifles of it's ilk, the basic foundation is there for a very good, reliable, and fully-functional DGR, given the right sort of work by a skilled gunsmith of experience and judgement.

Some factory rifles (Browning A-Hole, for example), might be chambered for DG cartridges, but no matter what you do to them, they'll never become true DG RIFLES.........

AD

Model 70 DGR

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjs:
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:

Duane,

Thanks for the feeback. It looks like there is sort of a loop but shows up next to the follower...

Is Sound Metal Products going to make a mag. box and bottom metal unit for the Model 70 "classic"?

FAST996,

From your pics that is a nice looking rifle. I have a custom 404 Jeffery, on a GMA action, in the works....

Appreciate the input and ideas...

Thanks,

Yes we are going to do the M-70's

jjs

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote