THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re: Ruger Mk 1 in 458 Win Mag - CRF or pushfeed??

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Ruger Mk 1 in 458 Win Mag - CRF or pushfeed??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It's a push feed with a plunger ejector and "claw" extractor.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response Gents. More or less confirms what I thought. A friend of mine is looking at this rifle and its in good condition at a good price - I will be surprised if he does not buy it.

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it has the claw extractor like my old ruger tang-safety m77 had then it will indeed control the cartridge from the mag into the chamber. Not knowing that the m77 claw would slip over the cartridge rim if just placed in the chamber first, I always fed it from the mag and the case rims always slipped up inside the claw and were firmly controlled into the chamber. To me, only the plunger ejector would keep it from being a "true" crf.

posted Hide Post
buckeye,

If you think the M-70 safety is a hassle, the CZ safety is also 3-position, but its positions are the opposite of the M-70. Needless to say, one should be familiar with any firearm they intend to use.

Have you shot any full-power 500gr. loads yet? How much does your rifle weigh, as delivered from the Custom Shop?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
George,
My take was not only a question of chambering but of design also. As I noted , I get a bit fired up about CRF as a requisite for a "good" DG rifle. As many have commented, most new product requires tuning before serious use-- even CRF guns. To me, having something I can quickly bring to use and I know is going to feed evertime is much more important than engineering. I just personally find the 3-position thing very hard to use-- probably because I am a "stubborn old fart" who hates change.
Anyhow, to respond to your question, I have only used the Capstick here in the states on Whitetail at this point, Using some download rounds using handgun bullets for a 475/480 chambered handgun. I will probably give it use on a Bear hunt and hopefully on my next African trip (hoping for 2006- if the finances permit!)

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote