THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Mauser '98 military action bolt handle replacement?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser '98 military action bolt handle replacement?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
OK, I have seen a lot of pictures of really good looking bolt handles. I still have the question of what is the best replacment handle to start with. Here are two pictures and descriptions. Please give some feed back and advice. In have no intention of doing the work myself, but I just want to know what you gunsmiths have to say about this.

Midway says: Wheeler's replacement bolt handle is machined from high-nickel alloy steel bar stock that welds, polishes and blues easily to match the rest of virtually any gun.

This is a Dakota handle for the Mauser.
Brownells says: Classy teardrop knob cast with shafts gracefully tapered at different rates to look "right" on each gun. Mauser models have shaped, notched attaching ends to fit the stub left when the factory handle is cut off. The Mauser gives military guns the look of high-grade commercial guns. SPECS: 8620 high tensile steel for excellent weldability.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not a Dakota fan but I do use their handle. It welds and blues nicely. What I like is how it fits to the stub on the Mauser bolt.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
i have used wheeler and others home made . I use a mig wire feed with real good results, no trapped slage or pot holes. I like to cut the angle rather than grid. when grinding you pick up crap off the wheel.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote