New
Find
Notify
Tools

removing old firing pin
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How do you remove an old firing pin from a Mauser 98? If someone could give me the procedure for completely stripping a mauser bolt, I would greatly appreciate it. I want to install a Beuhler style safety on my mauser 98, and put a new firing pin in it. Thanks in advance.

[ 05-15-2003, 22:51: Message edited by: Bang ]

Posts: 92 | Location: Sulphur, La. | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
To disassemble the M-98 military bolt……

Make sure the rifle is unloaded then close the bolt and place the safety in the vertical position.

Remove the bolt from the rifle and press the bolt shroud lock inward and unscrew the entire shroud from the bolt.

Place the tip of the firing pin on a hard surface and push downward on the shroud which further compresses the firing pin spring. Push it down far enough that the tip of the cocking piece clears the back of the shroud.

Rotate the cocking piece 90 degrees in either direction and pull it up and off the firing pin. Gently release the tension on the firing pin spring and pull the shroud off the back, then the spring.

To reassemble you’ll have to use a coin between the cocking piece and the shroud since you won’t have the center safety position to hold it in position if you use a two position safety.

<eldeguello>
posted
I agree with everything J. Belk said. But, rather than pushing the striker tip against a hard surface, I push it into a piece of wood, like a workbench top or leg, so that it penetrates into the wood a fraction of an inch. This helps prevent it from escaping inadvertantly, and go flying away. This happened to me a couple of times when I was learning how to take 'em apart. (If you have a German type military Mauser stock, there's a circular piece of metal inletted into the wood of the butt. It has a hole in the center. That hole is there for you to put the striker tip into while stripping the bolt).

[ 05-17-2003, 05:38: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

<JBelk>
posted
eldeguello---

Just as an aside......I had a gunsmithing student that had the removed portion of buttstock from a buttpad job on his thigh when he took apart an FN 98 bolt. The pin split the wood. The firing pin stuck in his leg bone and the shroud went across the shop and hit a kid in the head and cut him. It was the only day I had two blood-lettings at once!!