Find
Notify
Tools

Binding action Rem. 700
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted
Guys I have an ADL Rem. 700 in a TI stock with a callahan firing pin assembly installed. Heres the problem, when I am tightning the front bolt the last 1/8-14 turn the action will bind. By that I mean the bolt is hard to work. If I loosen the bolt(screw) about 1/8 of a turn the action will work normally. I took the rifle to the range and shot some loads with the bolt backed off that little bit and this thing shot like a house on fire! It was driving tacks, before it shot factory loads ok. This time I was shooting handloads and the same factory loads. The handloads shot REAL good so I tried the factory loads and the groups were improved by far(under an inch).

I decided to fix my problem with the binding by shimming under the action behind the recoil lug. I placed two shims(one in front and one behind) the screw and now it works just fine when the screw is fully tightened. The shims were the small labels for ammo boxes which are pretty thin maybe two or three thousands. I know all I can do is shoot the rifle to see if this will keep the accuracy. I should probably bed it but what to do about the shims or? Ideas anyone?

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i assume you mean the screw that attachs the stock to the action. sounds like the screw is a little long. do it right up without any shims and see if the screw is sticking up in the action and catching the bolts lug. if so just shorten the screw the desired ammount

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raybass:
Guys I have an ADL Rem. 700 in a TI stock with a callahan firing pin assembly installed. Heres the problem, when I am tightning the front bolt the last 1/8-14 turn the action will bind. By that I mean the bolt is hard to work. If I loosen the bolt(screw) about 1/8 of a turn the action will work normally. I took the rifle to the range and shot some loads with the bolt backed off that little bit and this thing shot like a house on fire! It was driving tacks, before it shot factory loads ok. This time I was shooting handloads and the same factory loads. The handloads shot REAL good so I tried the factory loads and the groups were improved by far(under an inch).

I decided to fix my problem with the binding by shimming under the action behind the recoil lug. I placed two shims(one in front and one behind) the screw and now it works just fine when the screw is fully tightened. The shims were the small labels for ammo boxes which are pretty thin maybe two or three thousands. I know all I can do is shoot the rifle to see if this will keep the accuracy. I should probably bed it but what to do about the shims or? Ideas anyone?

Sounds like the perfect candidate for pillar bedding. The pillars, if installed correctly, will keep the action from binding. Talk to your local gunsmith.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd second Paul's suggestion ref. checking the length of the front bolt. Look at the lug on the right and see if there is a rub mark on the outside. if there is shorten it a couple of threads and you should be in business.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 831 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
I didn't think about that. I'll look at the bolt lug and see. The screw is tight, so maybe it is just a few thousands long. The TI stock is already pillar bedded so when I bed it I suppose that will take up the slack. Thanks fellas

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The front action screw is too long. Just remove a little bit off the end with a fine file, and you're good to go.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raybass:
I didn't think about that. I'll look at the bolt lug and see. The screw is tight, so maybe it is just a few thousands long. The TI stock is already pillar bedded so when I bed it I suppose that will take up the slack. Thanks fellas

It very well could be that the front guard screw is running into the bolt lug, however, it isn't uncommon to find pillars a wee bit short which allows the action to be pulled deeper into the stock and out of alignment, which can cause the front guard screw to interfere with the bolt. I'd say check them both.

After everything is tight, loosen just the front guard screw while holding onto the barrel and forearm with your free hand. If you feel the barrel pull away as you loosen the screw, no matter how subtle it is, then it is likely you have a pillar issue. If it is only that the screw is too long, walk it over to a bench grinder or disc sander and trim it.

And with pillars, there needs to be metal to metal contact. If the bedding has to "take up the slack", then you should fit and install a new pillar. JMHPO. Good luck...

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
Westpac, is describing more of what is going on, I will check the screw length too though. I can feel the action move down into the stock so I'll have the pillar checked after season. Too close to season for anything except maybe bedding it. I would bet the front pillar is a little short.

thanks fellas

Straight shootin to ya

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the barrel touching anywhere?

Posts: 156 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
Well I was wrong, the screw was hitting the bolt lug. I filed it a little and presto no binding. I guess what I felt was the screw pushing up on the bolt. It's fixed that is the good part, now a trip to the range is in order.

Thanks fellas

Straight shootin to ya