New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a Colt series 70 Mark IV Goverment reproduction, and the spent cases are hiting me on top of the head after they are ejected. I took the pistol back to the gunshop where I purchased it, and they told me to replace the Recoil spring. They also offered to send it back to colt. I did purchase and install the 18 pound Wolff spring, But that didn't help at all.

I really don't want to do send it back to Colt.

Can anyone suggest what might be the problem.

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has nothing to do with the recoil spring, just change the angle on the leading edge of the ejector slightly, doesn't take much. Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
While you're at it, re-set the extractor tension. Pull the slide and remove the barrel assembly. You should be able to place an empty under the lip of the extractor and aggressively move the slide about without the case coming loose from the extractors grip. With an extractor gauge, I believe the minimum amount of grip is 18 oz. Or, there about.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steele and Westpac are right. Hardly ever hurts to change the recoil spring ... but it won't solve your problem.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, until you are better paid!!