New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inletting for Mauser 98 with a manual mill
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've inlet a couple blanks with my bench top mini-mill, but I want to get better before I attack a nice English walnut blank I have that is waiting to get carved. My thought was to do at least one more to refine my technique, but this time I want to improve efficiency and document my work process and sequence of cuts in a cookbook/tutorial format.

For example:

Step 1: Cut Rear Tang and Flat for Receiver bottom
Cutter: 1/2" end mill
Process:
1. Mark rearmost radius of the tang
2. Index to centerline, bring cutter down to touch wood
3. Plunge cut to a depth of .x"
4. Let 'er rip...

Step 2: Radius edges of front receiver ring
Cutter: 3/4" ball end mill
Process:
1. Scribe a line x" from centerline
2. Lower cutter x" below top edge of wood
3. sneak out to the scribed line
4. Let 'er rip...

I am very familiar with Duane's excellent thread on the Searcy Scholarship Rifle, as well as the "show and tell" thread pinned at the top. I was just looking for a little more detail on proven or recommended sequences, techniques, etc. for manually inletting a blank for a Mauser 98 using a mill.

Has anybody created such a thing for their personal use, or might possibly know of a tutorial posted elsewhere that might give me a little more information and save me some time documenting my own trial and error efforts?

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
P.S. In the absense of a detailed written procedure I am alway open to helpful tips and pointers!

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here is how I do it; mill out everything that doesn't look like a Mauser receiver, working from the inside to outside; that is the most important thing to me.
Looks like you already know how to do it.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I stick a pattern in one side the blank under the router and like dpcd said remove everything I don't want.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Chisels and files and scrapers for me. No mill in my shed.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That's hard core.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, so I guess I'm probably overthinking this...

I will just refine my techniques as I go I guess. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Montea

A few years back Pete Grisel from Oregon taught a couple of classes on inletting and shaping from the blank. He coached us on inletting with a manual milling machine. As far as I know he is not teaching now.

Trinidad State in Colorado has been teaching stock making from a blank which includes inletting with a manual milling machine. It is offered in their NRA summer courses again for 2015. You can get all the details on line through Trinidad or NRA. I highly recomend it.

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote