Find
Notify
Tools

OT Where to put my safe?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Made an offer on a House just east of Denver. If we get it I'm trying to plan where to palce my safe. The house has an unfinished walkout as well as 2 2 car garages. Yep a 4 car garage. Set up in a neat way they are 90degrees to each other with a 8' wide walk through. House has full security system.

I was leaning towards placing the safe in the garage with a golden rod inside.

Anyone see issues with a safe in the garage?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope, way smarter than where I put mine cuz I wasnt smart enough to check if it was on a support.

If the garage is secure and you got the room bolt that bad boy down.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Made an offer on a House just east of Denver. If we get it I'm trying to plan where to palce my safe. The house has an unfinished walkout as well as 2 2 car garages. Yep a 4 car garage. Set up in a neat way they are 90degrees to each other with a 8" wide walk through. House has full security system.

I was leaning towards placing the safe in the garage with a golden rod inside.

Anyone see issues with a safe in the garage?

Great idea; my safe is in a barn, kinda the same thing. I have a bench set up right by it for cleaning, etc.

I have the thing enclosed in a closet sort of deal, rough, not finished. The upshot is I have a double layer of sheetrock inside and outside of it for fire protection.

One "issue" I like is that the guns aren't in the house so the security end of things can be more robust (read big and crude)- I don't have to worry about harming "the decor" Big Grin

Besides, it's my experience that guns are stolen out of homes by people the owner knows- better they screw around in the barn rather than where the family is. Gives you a time and distance advantage, maybe.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Bolt to concrete floor, keep Golden Rod plugged in (mine has been on for 34 years now, never any moisture/rust), enclose in a closet or otherwise disquise, install electronic security, keep quite. Best of all, a TRTL30 rated jewelers safe.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
losts of break ins start through the garage

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
East of Denver? You'll have no problem with humidity, so a non-climate controlled area is fine.

Go ahead and spend a few bucks to frame your safe in. This will look nicer and provide you with cabinet/closet space above that is handy for accessories like hunting vests, shotshell wads, and whatever else.

Framing in the safe will largely prevent would-be theives from (1) attaching a chain to pull it off of its anchors, and (2) deter them from attacking the much more vulnerable sides and force them to concentrate on the less vulnerable door. You'd be surprised how couple of 2x4's with a little drywall nailed to them seems to baffle theives.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is really anything wrong with putting it in the garage, but personally I'd try to put it in the house if it could be done without major problems. The main reason, access. I don't know about you, but I wind up with jewelry (wife's), papers, and all sorts of items in the safe that, while it wouldn't be that big of a deal, are a lot more convenient for me/us to access inside the house.

Stonecreek's suggestion of framing it in is a very good one, especially if it is going to be in the garage area. Low profiling is important, just having maintenance people, etc see a gun safe in the garage is not good. Enclose it.
Remember a safe is really only protection against burglars. Home invasion with a gun at your kid's/wife's head? Whaddya gonna do? Chances are you're going to open it up.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Do you have a reloading place you are going to set up? Wherever it is, that can also be a convenient place for a safe.

One advantage of a safe in the garage is you can use it to offload new purchases in a hurry to bootleg around the customs agent.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A truly safe ; safe is to be hidden in plain sight !.

I sure as hell wouldn't want my safe anywhere near my loading bench or POWDER storage !.

Hey look the Guy reloads and here's the safe , lets use his powder an we'll blow it off the floor !.

No I should think inside the House perhaps behind a false fronted closet or pantry .

Thieves seldom frequent Kitchens or bathrooms while burglarizing homes !.

I prefer in floor mounting myself and well hidden .

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
If you put it in the garage I would recommend the descant dryer things offer up now. A couple of them according to what size safe you have. I had my safe in the garage in a low humidty state and even with the largest sized golden rod I still started getting surface rust. SO I switch to the descant dryer stuff that you can put in the oven and make it like new again and they work much better than the golden rods.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Smiler Vote running close to 50/50 just like my mind trying to make a decision. If it was in the garage then I planned on builing a closet around it large enough to allow soft guncases etc to be stored there as well. Since it does get cold in Denver I was planning on loading in the basement.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Paul, it's obvious you're eventually going to need two safes. Put one in the garage and one in the house - you'll get security and convenience (and a lot more capacity).

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I don't think there is really anything wrong with putting it in the garage, but personally I'd try to put it in the house if it could be done without major problems. The main reason, access. I don't know about you, but I wind up with jewelry (wife's), papers, and all sorts of items in the safe that, while it wouldn't be that big of a deal, are a lot more convenient for me/us to access inside the house.

Stonecreek's suggestion of framing it in is a very good one, especially if it is going to be in the garage area. Low profiling is important, just having maintenance people, etc see a gun safe in the garage is not good. Enclose it.
Remember a safe is really only protection against burglars. Home invasion with a gun at your kid's/wife's head? Whaddya gonna do? Chances are you're going to open it up.

Good points. Would like to add to put them on the lowest floor if possible. For example I have two safes on the lower level and there is no way even three adults can move them up the stairs unless they bring a power dolly. Wifey likes the idea she can put her high end jewels in there as well.
Third safe is coming but this one is going up a level but will only hold the least expensive weapons just in case we are hit.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Paul, it's obvious you're eventually going to need two safes. Put one in the garage and one in the house - you'll get security and convenience (and a lot more capacity).

Forrest I always did like the way you think. Big Grin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K