New
Find
Notify
Tools

ruger 77 bolt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
have a ruger 77 whenever the bolt gets a little dust on it like u would walking in the feild. the darn bolt starts geting stickey. have had to clean the bolt twice on a weekend of hunting. bugs the heck out of me haveing to stop an clean the bolt an rails. need to fix this. need some input on how to fix. inst u know hep me out guys. thanks. festus

Posts: 85 | Location: West Fargo, ND, 58078 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like you need to get rid of the lubricant. Degrease and dry the inside of the bolt and rails. Oil or grease will attract the dust and create the problem.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My thoughts exactly. What kind of lubricant are you using, Festus? The bolt needs only the tiniest hint of very thin lubricant to protect it from moisture/rust and allow it to work smoothly.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had very tight super smooth HS Precision actions give me fits here in the SW (sand storms are the worst),until I went with Rem Oil or equivalent dry lubes. Now only lubriplate on the lugs and everything else dry lube.

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well guys thanks.
but i have tried diff lubs lightly and almost clean no go. i always on my other rifle's have used H #9
just put a little on a rag wipe on bolt an use clean rag to wipe off. but this don't work on this puppy.have tried rem dry lub still gets cruddy after a day in the field. than i used rem lub samo samo. than i tried cleaning it with carb cleaner an put it in dry no good. H#9 WORKED THE BEST. But still didnt make a weekend. even tried polishing the rail's a little bit. maybe i should do it some more. dont really know where to go next. thanks guy's
festus

Posts: 85 | Location: West Fargo, ND, 58078 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote