Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Mounts???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Montana
posted
Which rings and bases does everybody consider the best.
Looking at the Dual dovetail Leupold's or the S&K's

Any opinons on these two.

The S&K's look better . I can see how the rings hold the scope I don't have a problem there, but how they fit into the base what holds them in and keeps the from shifting. I know there are screws but just two opposing screws.

Thanks

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the S&K, the bottom stems are dovetailed and the screws are pointed. The holes in the bases are the same diameter as the stems. There is no room for the rings to "shift" once the screws are tightened. This also allows for some windage adjustment.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Monatana,

It depends on the application and rifle. I like the dual dovetail bases because it's one less thing to come loose. But there are factory rifles where that adjustable rear base is very helpful. If we're talking big monster kicking Dangerous Game Rifles or Bet Your life Tactical rifles there are all sorts of over-engineered choices that will allow you to sleep well at night, some of which cost almost as much as a good scope.

For rings I like the Burris signature rings becaue they keep my scope tubes nice and scratch free. I have a ring lapping rig but I'm inherently lazy. Again, these aren't the most aesthetically pleasing rings--not the ones you'd use for a gun with custom engraving and a XXXX walnut stock...

On another note, I have really come to appreciate my scope aligning kit from Brownells. It tells you whether your scope rings are perfectly aligned so as not to bind the scope tube. It will also help you get your bases adjusted properly if they are of the adjustable variety.

Roger

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The S&K's are better looking, much lighter and fairly easy to install. The dual dovetail Leupolds are heavier, easier to install and I can't help believe that they are stronger. Also if you want to change out your scope you only need to remove the top half of the rings.

I have both and have no complaints about either system but the cheap old Weaver rings with the new Leupold slotted bases are my favorites. Yes! I agree they are ugly.

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
I like Talley's rings and bases
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com

one of us
Picture of solvi
posted Hide Post
The best rings I know of are the EAW SCOPE MOUNTS. Take a look
http://www.eaw.de/English/english.html They are the most used rings among Icelandic hunters and I have used them for over twenty years in all kind of hunting situation.
Best whishes and a happy New Year
S�lvi

Posts: 497 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote