Notify
Tools

a NOOB with a VISION...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A NOOB with a VISION...

Well...more or less animal

I had some time this weekend to take my rasps to this Fajen stock... knife I've been reluctant in the past but I thought it's best I start really learning how to re-shape/refinish my own stocks...win, lose, or draw...

I'm just looking for something that fits me well and is a bit more pleasing to my eyes.

I wanted to thank those that have encouraged me to do so...

I spent two hours Sunday evening and spent almost 8 hrs on Monday...I took it slow as I'm not a woodworker and realize I can't put back the STUFF once I cut/rasp/sand it off rotflmo

I started this thread to encourage others that have been reluctant like me [a noob] to pursue a project such as this... and hopefully they'll learn from my accomplishments and bleeps & blunders... beer

The rifle is a H&R Ultra Bolt FN Action 30-06 that has been shot very little and in really good condition. I was planning to rebarrel to a 7x57mm but instead opted to keep this pristine 30-06 Douglas barrel mated.

I don't know all the proper names of a rifle stock...but here is what I've done thus far the best I can describe it anyways Big Grin

1) The forend tip was cut straight about a 1/2" behind the front swivel post...and I shaped the new cut to have a sweeping angle that I liked...However it's still in the rough at this point as I need to finish both sides and wrap it gently around the forend....somehow bewildered

Also, I re-shaped the entire length of the forend making sure I kept my edges sharp on the top near the barrel channel and action/floorplate would sit... Still I need to open up the ejector port some...

2) I opened up the pistol grip area quite a bit both the top area and underneath to place my hand around it more comfortably and for a better thumb grip...I made it alot more slender and tried to make it sweep nicely beginning from the trigger guard to the pistol grip down to the buttstock...all the while trying to keep the balance aesthetically...

3) I removed the roll-over cheek piece completely, in order to stay within my limitations...as I do not only NOT have the necessary tools to do it properly but lacking the skills as well to properly re-create a cheekpiece with a shadowline which is what I would've desired...Here I rasped away alot of wood to create a comb that I was pleased with...both functionally and aesthetically to my untrained eyes...but I still need to do a bit more work in this area as well...

4) Next I rasped away the sides of the butt-stock from behind the pistol grip to the butt of the stock to make it more slender...I was able to keep everything even and symmetrical as I rasped in this direction...

I've taken off alot of wood and I'm quite pleased with my progress thus far in trying to create some pleasing lines and making it SLENDER...It's been FUN, but very focused holding onto the the vision and learning to understand the wood and using the limited tools on hand properly.

But, I'm a bit NERVOUS for the next part though where I'm planning to work on the grip cap area by removing the Rosewood Cap and installing a dark black piece of wood that is called Uhi'Uhi' which is native to my Hawaiian Islands and now on the endangered list...It would be awesome to me IF I am able to use it properly on this stock instead of ebony...

I still need to cut the LOP and angle the cut from the top coming in towards the bottom...sorry I don't know all the terms... bewildered...and I'll be "attempting" to properly install a KickEEZ recoil pad...

The finish I'll use will be Mr. Wiebe's alkanet finishing technique that he has shared on his website and I'll be purchasing the alkanet powder from him soon.

Also, I'll be installing a barrel band on the rifle to complete it using the methods I've found on this forum using Loc-tite and bluing it with Cold Blue or whatever else that someone here could recommend...please! Wink

The trigger is crisp and has no travel/backlash so I'll be keeping it on the rifle though I don't like the safety slide-plate...but I can live with it as it is functional... Big Grin

Last I will send the stock off to Ahlmann's to have them re-checker...

I decided to make this rifle also for my 5 yr old daughter who can't wait to take it to Africa on a PG hunt with her daddy...I'll be loading it with Barnes 150-grainers and finding her a comfortable load near 7x57mm velocities... jumping...And when that time comes I'll shorten the LOP just right for her! Big Grin

Here are some before pics of the rifle from the ad when I bought it from that other forum's classifieds for $500 and hoped one day to turn it into something I'd find appealing...The couple small dark splotches/areas that appear are all that's left of the original finish...

And a couple pics of my progress thus far...I'll update more to this thread as the project evolves...

Thank you to those of you that have shared here on AR FORUM as you've been a great source of encouragement and also to Les Brooks and the thread he created for us!!!

My rifle will always been an EL CHEAPO but I'll be proud win, lose, or draw because of the work I put into it...and I/WE will hunt it hard tu2

I hope it will be elegant when I'm done Smiler

God Bless and wish me luck!

P.S. I now have a greater admiration for those of you that do this for a living...you folks are very talented indeed...This stock is a CHEAPO, and you guys are doing it from blanks and blanks that costs Uucko-$$$$...Wow...is all I can say...The responsibility in making it work out is phenomenol pressure I'd think no matter how long one's been in business... beer

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
For scope use the drop from centerline of the bore at the comb should be about 1 5/8" & the drop at the heel about 1 1/8".

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
For scope use the drop from centerline of the bore at the comb should be about 1 5/8" & the drop at the heel about 1 1/8".

Doug,

Thank you sir!

I have no idea what I'm doing but just whittling away the best I can.......This insight is very helpful and I'll try my best to get as close to the numbers as I can...

I hope more folks here would chime in and share their wisdom!

Hopefully I'll be able to make something pleasing/functional from it... Big Grin

I appreciate it!

Thanks brother!

Aloha!

Ro

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
From a fellow non-woodworker, I think the reshaped stock looks good! If it fits you better is comfortable to shoot and you like it, that's all that counts!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks Great LB, have you considered putting a bevel on the rear action tang to remove the sear groove at the top of the pistol grip ? One of the pro stock makers said it goes a long way in making a slender grip both in looks and feel.
Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
From a fellow non-woodworker, I think the reshaped stock looks good! If it fits you better is comfortable to shoot and you like it, that's all that counts!

Thanks Rusty!

That's the ultimate goal here tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by manhasset:
Looks Great LB, have you considered putting a bevel on the rear action tang to remove the sear groove at the top of the pistol grip ? One of the pro stock makers said it goes a long way in making a slender grip both in looks and feel.
Bob

manhasset- Thanks!

Now that you mentioned it...I'd like to do that!

The goal here is something SLENDER and COMFORTABLE in hand for a 30-06 that'll be dedicated to shoot Barnes 150/165 grainers. So a LIGHT-HANDLING rifle that's easy to come up to shoulder and swing is my objective for this particular rifle.

Your suggestion would help me achieve this...Thanks!

Could someone here help by posting pics of this "bevel" so I have an idea if you got a pic handy, please! Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to the Custom Built Rifles and look up TC1- Custom Mini Mauser Finished, 4th photo down.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by manhasset:
Go to the Custom Built Rifles and look up TC1- Custom Mini Mauser Finished, 4th photo down.

Thank you tu2