New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win FWT Long Action Conversion--?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First apologies for not using the proper terms, but hopefully I can convey what I am trying to accomplish.

Bought a Win FWT Push Feed in 257 Roberts. The rifle is built on a Long action, but it has a short action box (easy enough to change out to a LA box) and the Bolt Stop is set for a short action.

Is it possible for a novice to change the Bolt Stop so it will come back far enough to pick a cartridge out of the long box?

Thanks for any ideas.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Since the bolt stop is supported by the same pin that the trigger is. Your trigger will need to be removed and in so doing you may cause the trigger to loose it's adjustment making the rifle unsafe.

Being aware of this condition with the proper skills, yes it could be done. Not knowing you personally I can not advise you that you should. The part is $11 from Winchester and a decent smith should only charge around $20 to $40 to replace the bolt stop should you feel uncomfortable performing this task. Money well spent when it come to trigger work.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taking the trigger out of an older model 70 will not change the adjustment. Only one pin to remove and the bolt stop you have can be shortened with a file to work with a longer cartridge. VERY SIMPLE AND SAFE! Do pay attention on how the trigger goes together before taking it apart. The little spring that holds the bolt stop is the only tricky part about it.

Posts: 2833 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On top of that you don't even need to remove the trigger! Just push out the pin from the bolt stop side until it is free. Take it to the grinder and remove enough so the bolt will come back far enough.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Taking the trigger out of an older model 70 will not change the adjustment. Only one pin to remove and the bolt stop you have can be shortened with a file to work with a longer cartridge. VERY SIMPLE AND SAFE! Do pay attention on how the trigger goes together before taking it apart. The little spring that holds the bolt stop is the only tricky part about it.

I have to disagree. Anytime you do anything to a trigger assembly the adjustment needs to be verified. The trigger may not loose its adjustment but are you willing to bet your life on it?? What i'm getting at is. Yes the trigger is designed in such a way that removing it to replace the bolt stop SHOULD not cause a problem with the adjustment. But that adjustment needs to be verified each and every time anything is changed on the trigger directly or indirectly. That said, MC did state "was this possible for a NOVICE to do?".

For those of us experienced in all the little details of firearms internal workings and that it is second nature for us to verify the safety of a firearm before we put it into service. This may not be apparent to the NOVICE. And hence forth my first post on this topic advising said novice to seek the assistance of a competent Gunsmith.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I have never found it necessary to re-adjust a model 70 trigger after I have removed it and reinstalled it. In my original posted reply, I stated the trigger itself did not have to be removed to adjust the length of the bolt stop.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote