Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement stock advice
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted
As you may have seen from my broken stock post above, I'm in the market for replacement stock for my Sako L691. I like the traditional look and feel of wood, but perhaps I need a synthetic. Would any of you care to make suggestions or comments regarding my opportunities here?

Thanks

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a laminate. There are some top end custom laminates from figured lumber that are gorgeous. Feel of wood but strength of laminate.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at some of the better wood laminates out there. The better ones (in my opinion) offer a very good compromise (everything has it pluses and minuses) between a natural wood stock and a synthetic one. The differences between synthetic and a laminated wood stock are mostly aesthetic and that makes it more of a personal choice than a practical one. The synthetics are normally a bit lighter in weight...but not always if they utilize the ubiquitous bedding blocks. The laminates have the advantage of being able to be shaped to the customers preference just like a natural wood stock... where doing this on a synthetic, while not impossible, is not very practical or easily accomplished.

Rick

Posts: 494 | Location: Valencia, CA | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saw the picture of your Sako stock, it made me cringe. Too bad it wasn't a Left Hand stock, I could repalce that in kind.

I have restocked three Sako's with McMillan stocks. I choose the Sako Classic and Sako Varmint style stocks, however McMillan's Sako Hunter is a glass replica of the stock that is broken. The others are glass replicas of Sako's stocks of the same name.

The McMillans get the job done, and should be very reliable, no matter how ham fisted baggage handlers, shipping companies get.

Posts: 121 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...McMillan's Sako Hunter is a glass replica of the stock that is broken...

That's the one I was looking at. I decided to buy this rifle before I know what it was chambered in because the factory stock just flat fit me. I'd love to find a replacement wood stock with the same fiddleback pattern, but I doubt that. The laminates are appealing, but would probably cost more by the time they were shaped and checkered like the factory stock. The McM, aside from that fact that it's not wood, has all the features of the original, right down to the palm swell.

Anybody have any specific recommendations about laminates, i.e. manufacturers, fitters, etc.?

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sako factory laminate on a 30-06 AV Sako. I think you would be happier with the McMillan stock. The laminate seems to be neither fish nor fowl to me, but that is what makes for conversation, eh? If you have your heart set on a laminate shoot me a PM and we'll see what we can figure out. The biggest joy of Sako's for me is that their hunter style stocks fit me to a "T".
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The biggest joy of Sako's for me is that their hunter style stocks fit me to a "T".
JCN

Exactly. The shape of the stock and the fancy fiddleback of the previous stock were the reasons I bought this rifle. I held it and agreed to buy it before I even looked at the chamber stamp. I'd never even heard of a 6.5X55 until I bought one...

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you like the pattern of you broken stock, and it appears it fit you well. I would get Mike Kokolus who I feel is one of the best in the country at turning stocks, to put your broken stock back together and use it for a pattern, there are many good blanks available. Or you could always call Sako up, my guess they would have a replacemnt. If you liked what you might want to stick with it.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
If you were to have it professionaly repaired and reinforced you would never know the break was there and it would be stronger than the origional. That would allow you keep the same stock you like so well and havi it completely usable again. It is probably the cheapest option also.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know it's not what you are after,..but HS Precision makes a drop in stock for the L691 action. I built my 6.5-06AI on that action and the fit of the HS stock is superb.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote