THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Scope Mount problem on Remington 700 Short Action

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Mount problem on Remington 700 Short Action
 Login/Join

<Bruce Gordon>
posted
I have a Remington 700 Short action that has a Lepould one piece base and extra tall 1" rings. The 10-30 target scope was mounted on the rifle and is able to zero out just fine at 600 yards, but is using up all the vertical adjustment. As a fix I bought one of the new extended range Lepould one piece bases, but when I attempted to install it, the scope hit the barrel in front so I had to pull it back off and reinstall the old base. What I am looking for is a base/ring setup that will allow me to zero in at 1000 yards so that I can get set up for the next club match which is taking place this fall.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have direct knowledge of all the details, but I believe that Burris Signature rings with long-range inserts, or shimmed Davidson bases with Jewell rings from Sinclair or Bruno would handle your situation. The Davidson/Jewell solution is more expensive, perhaps nicer-looking, and probably higher off the bore.

Of course, you could always shim the base and lap in the rings with a kit from Sinclair or Kokopeli.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bruce.

The Burris Signature rings with the long range inserts work really fine. Recono are absolutley right about the difference in price. The Davidson/Jewell solution will set you back more, a lot more

A pair of Weaver style steel bases from Leupold or Warne combined with the Burris rings will give you a really good mount.

Good luck at the club match at 1000 yards!

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
I use the Burris Signature rings and steel weaver-style mounts (Leupold?) on my LR scopes. You have to buy the signature rings and then pay about $12 extra for the offset insert kit.

Once you use them you won't go back, except for those scopes that must sit as low as possible to the rifle. The Signature rings add about .1 inch to the minimum mounting height. On target scopes the bell usually dictates the heighth rather than the rings.

I use them on my 416 RemMag that shoots many sub MOA groups, so they are plenty strong and don't shift under recoil. You never have to lap the rings, either, as they are self aligning.

Don

[This message has been edited by Don G (edited 04-17-2001).]

<Boltgun>
posted
Bruce,
Give Badger Ordinance a call. They have rings and bases that will easily take you out to a thousand. 20 minutes of angle built in, picatinney rail, and tough as nails.
Bolt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out any of the "sniper-type" websites for this type of equipment.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Rust>
posted
If I read your post correctly, the bell on your scope is of large enough diameter that it contacts the barrel if the 20 minutes of tilt is added with the Leupold base. I suspect the same would occur with most normally available mounts.

I would first of all give Sinclair International a call. Ph (219) 493-1858. Check your scope and see just how much extra clearance you need. Sinclair carries Nighforce two piece 20 minute tapered bases and they are somewhat thicker than most mounts. Ask Sinclair what the differences in thickness are.

If that won't get you there you could give Badger Ordnance or Autagua Arms a call. If what they normally have won't work, they can make something that will.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just put some shims under the back of a one piece base. When you are happy with the elavation, degrease and epoxy for a semi perminant installation.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Bruce Gordon>
posted
Thanks for all the good information. Rust is correct about the front bell touching the barrel with the long range base/ring setup that is on the rifle now.
I had considered shimming but do not really care for that idea unless a commercially available base setup is not available.
Time to give Sinclair a call and see what they can do to help. In the past Sinclair has always been outstanding.

<Boltgun>
posted
Bruce,
The Badger base and rings will fit up to a 50mm diameter scope as long as the barrel is the factory heavy barrel contour.If your using a #7 contour or larger, the same base with higher rings will work, or you can use the tall Autauga base with regular mark 4 rings.
Bolt