New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice on Dent
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
hello all, I've dented the wood of my favorite rifle, a very small dent, any idea how to get rid of it?

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eurocentric:
hello all, I've dented the wood of my favorite rifle, a very small dent, any idea how to get rid of it?

If it is an Oil finish take a wet rag & the wife's clothes iron, lay the wet rag on the dent apply heat with the iron, the steam will raise the dent, let it dry! Wet sand the aera with 400g paper & your favorite oil finish a couple times a day for a couple days & you will be good to go!! Wink

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Worst case scenario (not applicable here) - I once boiled a stock! Got all the stains and oil and dents out (with quite a bit of detergent and solvents beforehand and detergents in the boiling water). That old scrap stock looked like new once the finish was put on!

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HA...love the "boiling" Years ago, I boiled a fancy fore end for a Model 21...Wow...disaster! warped, shrunk, expanded, bent...well you get the idea...But...I did get rid of the oil in the wood

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a clean can with a screw top, like brake fluid comes in, or denatured alcohol, or buy a new, unused gallon can at the hardware store. Take a nail and punch a hole in the cap. Fill the can about halfway with water, put it on the stove.

Hold the dent over the steam jet that will come out of the hole in the cap when the water is boiling, that will often times raise the dent.

You can also drive excess oil out of a stock, say like around the tang on a bolt action rifle where it likes to collect over the years, using the same rig, wiping off the oil as it surfaces.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This worked. Thanks a lot everyone for your suggestions. Cheers

quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
I steam them out. Take a look at this thread:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums?a=search...&forum_scope=9411043

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
better than a steam iron is an electric solderin iron held over the wet cloth. more precise...and removes less finish from areas that don't need the dent raised!

Posts: 6819 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fook! I should have thought of that, I have one, darn it.

quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
better than a steam iron is an electric solderin iron held over the wet cloth. more precise...and removes less finish from areas that don't need the dent raised!

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
better than a steam iron is an electric solderin iron ....
Great idea! thumb
(I wish I had thought of that!) Big Grin

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having been rough on some Walnut stock years ago tramping the toolies, I got some dents in them, and got them all out by doing the steaming routine. A wet piect of cotton flannel and a steam iron set on cotton does the trick. For some dents, it took several days to get it completely raised up; but eventually these deep dents did raise up.
Not sure how well this procedure would work on stocks like Remingtons that have finishes like theirs as I have not done the steam trick to any of them. You need to get the steam down behind the dent to push up the wood that's dented, and the Rem finish is like an epoxy that probably won't allow for the steam to get below the dent, don't know.

Don

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:

Make up a good story about it and it'll never bother you again...