THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-‘64 long action Model 70 stock on a .243?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted
I bought a 1955 Model 70 in .243 Winchester for my Mom. She’s short and the LOP is too long. I don’t want to cut up the original stock. Will a long action stock work? I saw one for sale. Is the only difference the size of the magazine cutout? The seller doesn’t know and neither do I.

I do plan to put a custom stock on it one day. For now, she wants to shoot it.

Thanks. Lee

Posts: 7592 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes with pre-64's, the only difference is the magazine cutout although barrel contours also vary.

Posts: 766 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the magazine cutout for standard and short magnums is the same only the H&H actions had longer magazine boxes and cutouts. The 308 length calibers used a standard box with a block in them to shorten their length. If memory serves!
BB

Posts: 402 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want an original mod 70 stock I have a take off from I believe 1953 that I would sell if you are interested. No butt plate though. If you would like pictures let me know. Sorry just saw your ad, not a fw stock.

Posts: 1176 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
There is not such thing as a short or long action pre 64 70. All are 30-06 length. Only the mags are different, and the H&H is cut out more. Same platform.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
There is not such thing as a short or long action pre 64 70. All are 30-06 length. ...

This.
Same for the first push feeds too, up until they came out with the Ranger/Youth models.
Pre 64 and standard length push feed hole spacing is different.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Actually the Ranger was not a short action either; it twas just a standard post 64 Model 70 with a birch stock. To make it cheaper.
Whilst all pre 64s are a 30-06 length, all post 64s, until they came out with the true short action at a date I do not know since I abhor short actions, are H&H length and are blocked off for anything shorter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Actually the Ranger was not a short action either; it twas just a standard post 64 Model 70 with a birch stock. To make it cheaper.
Whilst all pre 64s are a 30-06 length, all post 64s, until they came out with the true short action at a date I do not know since I abhor short actions, are H&H length and are blocked off for anything shorter.

They came out with a Youth/Ladies Ranger sometime around 1980. (??) On and off production till the end of USRA. The actions and bolts were approximately 5/8" shorter. Late type guide ribbed push feeds. VERY popular for building across the course high power rifles. Tubb used them to win the Nationals a time or three. About the time AR's pushed the M14 aside, the Rem 700 sidelined the Winchester for a NMC gun.
When FN took over all kinds of action lengths and tenon threads appeared. Need a scorecard to tell the players on those.

Here are two short push feed bolts flanking a standard.

And a gaggle of new unfit firing pins for same, with a standard for comparison.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I am talking about the Ranger; those were introduced in long (then the only) action length. It was a blind mag and birch stock. I have them that I bust down for the actions.
Lest someone think the Ranger brand denotes a short action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
. I have them that I bust down for the actions.
Lest someone think the Ranger brand denotes a short action.

Broke down a few myself.
They were both long and short. Winchesters' first "short" M70. Used to be we were tripping over the short ones. These days hard to find someone that knew they existed.

13013 and 13113 from their old parts list.