New
Find
Notify
Tools

Changing ejection angle Tikka T3
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok my sheep gun has a major issue, which I apparently common. Before I dump it seeing if there is a solution as it’s a great shooter, just a crappy ejector. Tikka T3 stainless light 300 WM. Swarovski Z5 in Talley LWrings. (Did it with leupold as well). Ejection angle very high due to design of bolt which throws case into windage knob where it will bounce back into receiver. Total fail. Looked all over internet and this is a known issue. Anyone figure out how to solve it? Possible reducing power on ejector plunger? Very frustrating and calling beretta tomorrow. Otherwise gun very light and acuurate. But I don’t play with malfunctioning guns on hunts.

Thanks for any info

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give your Leupold another try and this time rotate it 90 degrees so that the windage knob becomes the elevation knob and vice versa (assuming you have a duplex reticle). It should take care of your problem. I also seem to remember that Nickel made some scopes with the windage knob and turret on the left side, if you could find one of them.

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Yup, had to do the rotate scope 90 degree thing on most of the Schultz and Larsen 7x61s I've had in my life for the same reason. Swapping the adjustment indicator rings (L-R and U-D) made it work OK as long as I remembered that L now meant right and R meant left...

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lol interesting. I wonder if that’s what beretta is going to say. I was interested in cutting off a coil at a time to tune ejector would work. I am not really that interested in gun if I can’t get it to work correctly. Someone must have tried?

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had this problem with the sako extractor install on a Rem 700 bolt conversion. If you grind a small amount from the tip of the extractor ( the hook, I think it is the bottom or right side) it will change the angle of the ejected cartridge and miss the scope. Take a little at a time and try it. You should be able to get a new one if you screw it up.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As stated, you can cut a portion of the top of the extractor hook off, and also grind or file a downward angled bevel on the ejector. This will increase the height of the push point on the case head and lower the pivot point on the extractor... It may only change the angle a small amount, but it MAY be enough and if it doesn't work, the parts are cheap enough to replace and put back to OEM.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1182 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok thanks I figured someone must of seen this on a sako/tikka lots of posts on the internet but no real fixes. At this point I will not be dealing with this type of ejector system again life is too short lol

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is because the extractor is not in line with the right/bottom bolt lug as it is in most other bolt actions.
It is positioned above the right lug, thereby throwing the brass in a more upward angle. Some fixes are outlined above, (putting the windage knob as the elevation knob is the best solution but you can't do that with your Swarovski).
So, just don't buy any more rifles with the Sako type extractor.
Beretta is going to tell you two things; it works as designed, (they are not responsible for your scope choice or positioning) and not to touch it.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correct. I just got off the phone with them. May be worth fiddling with and ordering replacement parts and selling if no satisfactory results are found. Too bad it would be a great superlight affordable and acuurate gun if it had a slightly lower ejection angle. I’ll report back...

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
This is a common problem with Sako 85's as well. Beretta won't do anything to resolve a known problem. Just google "Sako ejection problems" and you'll see lots of reports.

Check out this article for a potential solution to the problem. Seems like the problem deals with rim thickness of the cartridge and Beretta using a one size fits all extractor to save some $$.

https://answers.fieldandstream...s-in-the-finlight-85

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
You can adjust ejection angle by modifying the tip of the ejector. Have a look at an M1 Garand to get an idea of what I’m referring to. This adjustment is almost always needed when installing a Sako-type extractor on a Remington.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote