New
Find
Notify
Tools

File for Express Sights?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone know where I can find a file for British Express rear sights??

Best regards;
Brett

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry,

Just searched on this and read all the discussions. I'm still a bit confused as to how to use the barett file. Is it angled??

Brett

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I don't think you need a really special file made just for sight adjusting...

When I did the ones on my .375 H&H Magnum Mauser, I used two files. One was a very fine mill file, one small side of which I ground off a bit to be a "safe" side. The second was a triangular so-called "Swiss" needle file which also has a "safe" side, but this one's safe side made by the original file manufacturer. I used the mill file for the bulk of the hogging work, and the needle file for the final touches.

To tell the truth, I also doubt that the English gunmakers used files manufactured especially just for sight adjusting either, though of course each one may have dedicated a couple of his files to that purpose.

Apprentice gunsmiths learned how to correctly and accurately use a file as one of their very first achievements. It is much more important to work carefully and slowly than to have a specially manufactured file, I suspect.

One piece of advice, from my own experiences (learned the hard way in the beginning)...when you go to the range to file your sight(s), make sure the sun is not glinting off one side or the other of your front sight when you are shooting/filing. If it is, no matter how carefully you center your group (and sight 'V'), the windage will be wrong when the sun is in a different location.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote