Find
Notify
Tools

rethreading a rem barrel to fit a turk
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted
I saw the discussion on rethreading a rem barrel to fit a Turk small ring action. What are the specifics? I assume the rem threads will be turned off and rethreaded to the Turk thread dimensions. What are they? I've never done this before, but have a few rem barrel takeoffs and can get a Turk at Big Five.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
<timpage>
posted
I am curious too, turks are cheap and plentiful. I would be interested in sporterizing another turk, including changing the barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm in the process of turning an 8mm Turk plus a Remington barrel into a 'Turkington' 30-06.

The thread on the Rem barrel is about 1.1", and the thread on the large ring Turk is about 9.8", same as most small ring Mausers. It's not too hard to turn the Rem thread down to fit the Turk.

You'll probably want to stick to cartridges with the .473" base, and those with a COL of 3.3" or less. 30-06 and 270 are good candidates because the Turk is a long action. 308, 243 and such should work, if you don't mind a short cartridge in a long action.

The whole process isn't a lot cheaper than buying a whole rifle, unless you can do the lathe work and such yourself, and/or already have a barrel or Turk on hand. However, it is a lot of fun. For recutting the barrel threads, swapping barrels, trimming the chamber, drilling and tapping for a scope, adding a scope base, and cutting and replacing the bolt handle, my 'smith bill will be about $160, plus $50 for the Turk, plus the price of the barrel, plus $17 for the low scope safety. If you have a barrel with sights, you don't really have to worry about some of that, and you could get a good rifle for a modest investment.... more like $150 total.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Charlie S>
posted
Right on Denton
I have made several"Maueingtons" and "Remsuers" using the often like new castoff Remington barrels that you can get at Gunshows for around $25.00, Just turn the barrrel shank to .980,(just a tad below bottom of remington threads)Square a new shoulder and cut Mauser threads ( 1/12 pitch,55 degree,Shorten the shank,(Turks about .620 / Swedes like .625,should measure each individual reciever/Bolt combo, trying for about .005 minimum clearance for extractor hook.),Then Ream to propper length/Headspace for your favorite catridge, (With identical bore dia. that is)Have a pair of 22/250 AIs, That I made this way on a couple of 96 actions ,A 21" version for Fox/Coyote, It likes,37 Grs,3031,40gr.V-max,for an honest 3950fps. A 24" version H/BBl. that likes 60gr.hps/and slower powders for Pastuer Poodles.

Best economy Rebarrel secret around,if you have a lathe,reamers,etc. and time.
Those throwaway barrels if in good condition,bedded right and rifle tuned up usually shoot about 1 3/4" or better at 200 yards!
"Fight High Barrel Prices,Set Back and Rechamber"
Charlie S

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info- I have a couple of Rem barrels that I took off of Rem ADL's for other projects. I think I'll build a switch barrel Mauser in .308,.243 and 22/250. I have a Lathe and Mill and have built quite a few Custom Mausers but not a switch barrel on that action. I think I'll design a locking plate system to keep everything alligned once the barrels are screwed together. Off to Big Five.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
I have a brand new 25-06 shilen CM barrel for a Turk, $200 and its yours.

<Roundbutt>
posted
The turks can also be large ring. The thread lenth is short,not standard.

<DEATHMERCHANT308>
posted
The actions that Roundbutt are refering to are the "GEW" actions the Turks modified. These actions are large ring with the large pattern threads. The turk actions that are marked on the top of the reciever with "K.KALE" are your large ring action with the small pattern threads.

I am waiting for my "K.KALE" Turk to come back from my gunsmith. I am having a 7.62x39 barrel installed. It has the small diameter threads.

Good Shooting

JIm