New
Find
Notify
Tools

screw tension
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How much should I tighten the screws on my rifle when reassembling? I don't have a torque wrench type device so any way of explaining how snug to get it by feel would be appreciated.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When i really want it tight, I use one of those cheap interchangable screwdrivers with the screw heads inside the hollow handle. Use the really cheap brightly colored, green/yellow ones. When it is very tight, the screwdriver handle will rotate but the screwdriver head will not move.

Posts: 80 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is only when I want things practically over-tightened. For normal use ask somebody else, dammit!

Posts: 80 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Find out where they shoot best and mark the screws...It can make a big difference if your talking forend tension....

For action screws I tighten them evenly to start, then snug the fore screw very tight and the rear lightly snug..if you have a center screw then just enough so it does not bind and won't back out from recoil..I don't like center screws and on a M-70 for instace I put a block in and substitute a wood screw so as not to bind the center of the action down....

Posts: 42153 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't like center screws and on a M-70 for instace I put a block in and substitute a wood screw so as not to bind the center of the action down....[/QB][/QUOTE]

Makes alot of sense,

Thanks Ray!

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote