New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to remove a Rem 870 fore-end?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm refinishing my son's starter 20 ga shotgun. Are there special tools needed to remove the fore-end from the metal? Thanks, Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A special flat wrench goes into the front end of the forearm to remove the nut.

Once you have the forearm unit off of the action/magazine and the carrier and bolt off the arms. Then look at the front end of the wood and the forearm tube. There is a thin nut that holds the two together. Most of the tools sold fit the 12 gauges. You can make one from flat mild steel stock the same width as the slots in the nut. The wrench needs to be the same dia as the nut so it won't cut into the wood. Also there will be two notches just back from the diameter of the wrench. These notches will clear the threads and prevent their damage.Its nice to have a handle on it, to get better leverage.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
Use either Reminton's forend spanner wrench or WECSOG it and very carefully use a small screwdriver (or better yet grind a small brass punch) and rubber mallet to chase the lock ring around. Take your time using the WECSOG method.

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
WECSOG? Can you translate that one for me? I'll SWAG it and guess that it might be a little close to FUBAR in some situations if you don't pay attention?

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Brownell's sell wrenches for this, although I suppose you could make one too, and as Jim said they may only fit 12 guage guns.

[ 05-31-2003, 16:24: Message edited by: fla3006 ]

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
WECSOG = Wile E. Coyote School of Gunsmithin'; home method of improvising, using whatever resources available in attempt to overcome lack of parts, tools, money, etc., to achieve a workable firearms repair or modification solution. WECSOG includes moderate amounts of SWAG, a little ingenuity, lots of profanity, and a Dremel with a cutoff wheel. Bloodletting (usually by said cutoff wheel)is required before WECSOG degree is conferred.

If not vewy, vewy careful while using WECSOG methods, FUBAR can occur.

[ 06-01-2003, 09:15: Message edited by: BlackHawk1 ]

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sierra_Dave
posted Hide Post
This is a 870 shotgun correct? If so, the magazine tube has a nut [magazine cap] on the end which can either be removed by hand or using a wrench. Then you release the foreend halfway and remove the barrel. Turn gun over and inside the receiver where you insert shells press and hold the left shell latch with one hand, while sliding the fore-end forward. Then press the other shell latch and release the fore-end completely.

There are blow-ups of the 870 on the web, check remington country. http://www.remington.com/
Viewing the blow-ups before you take the gun apart is a great way to start this project.

The fore-end disassembles by removing the fore-end nut which is located at the muzzle end. That nut can be removed with either needle nose or o-ring type pliers or using the remington wrench.

Good luck

Posts: 82 | Location: Sierra Nevada Mountains | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. I'll give it a try with needle nose. It's a 20 ga. Looks like a needle nose would slip in there, if the nut is not on too tight. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote