New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you get epoxy off of a barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a CZ 527 Lux in .223 Remington. I took the rear iron sight off by driving it out of the dovetail. I tried, and tried and tried to get the front site off, but to no avail. Finally, I was cleaning the rifle one day and leaned it against the bed in my bedroom. The rifle slipped off and fell on the carpeted floor. I checked everything to see if the scope was okay, it looked to be fine, checked the stock and there doesn't appear to be any cracks. Anyway, I cleaned it, put it back in the cabinet and a few nights ago got bored and decided to see if I had missed something in trying to get the front sight off. I took the same screwdriver and when I losened up the holding screw, the front sight popped right off. The sight apparently had been epoxied and screwed to the barrel. The epoxy is harder than a rock. I tried using a moto tool with the small steel wheel-brush, but the epoxy just stays there. How do I get it off and the barrel down to metal again without too much damage to the finish? Thanks for any help ... Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to your local hardware store and buy some "Paint and Epoxy Remover". It's sold with the paints. Works well to get most crud off guns. Don't use it on plastic or aluminum though....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Heat it with a propane torch, not enought to color the metal though. After, use clean steel wool and oil.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Heat it with a propane torch, not enought to color the metal though. After, use clean steel wool and oil.

I agree with Scot.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you might try a soldering iron also..........
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
brass brush and torch...

just make it too warm to touch comfortably, no where NEAR a color change. You are looking for ~200, ~300 MAX

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While in the Air Force we used methyl ethyl keytone to disolve epoxy sealant from fuel tanks. This is the same stuff that gave old plastic glue its' stink. Be carefull as it will also dissolve other plastics.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mild heat will do the trick. MEK (MthylEthylKetone) is very dangerous to stock finishes and would definitely ruin any finish it comes in contact with.
I use mild heat and a piece of wood as a scraper to gently remove the epoxy, then use an oil like Kroil that will creep under any remaining glue and rub it off. I've never had any problems getting it off like this, but I suppose there could be occasions where more drastic measures such as steel wool and oil might be needed.