Notify
Tools

870 needs a bit of work
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
I need a few recommendations.

I have an 870 16 gauge that doesn't eject the spent shell properly any longer. I think one of two things is happening. Either there is a bur in the chamber that holds the spent case in the chamber after firing and swelling of the brass or my extractor is worn out and needs replaced.

Can anyone recommend a place to have my shotgun worked on?

Thanks,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This presumes your ammunition is fresh.

Remove the barrel and check the chamber.

If it is the extractor, you can replace it yourself - see Replacing 870 extrctor

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does it extract( pulls the case from the chamber) but fails to eject (throws the empty)or fails to extract?
Two different fixes.
Failure to extract can be caused by a dirty chamber, wax build up in the forcing cone, or a bad extractor, a rough chamber or any combination of the preceeding.
Failure to eject the cartridge can be caused by a bad ejector or a bad extractor.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear in my initial post.

It will not extract the spent shell each and every time. I thought it was a case of Winchester ammo I had bought; however, even switching brands and it still does the same thing.

I've looked for scaring on the brass and haven't noticed any markings.

If it is a wax build up, suggestions on removing it?

Thanks,

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Where would the wax have come from?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clean the chamber area very well check for burrs. Take a good look in the rim area for damage rust ect.

Take out the extractor clean the spring and hole they well get gummed up not allowing the extractor to ingage the rim properly.

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Never had wax gum one up. However WD40 and powder residue will make a great tar (gum) like substance over the years. I would take the extractor etc apart and give it a good cleaning.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where would the wax have come from

Must be all of the paper shells Gray Bird bought at the last garage sale dancing
Cut my eye teeth on the smell of Federal Paper hulls..

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Funny you say that Zephyr!

Just Sunday afternoon I was going thru an old box that had been in the basement. Within this box was two old Winchester 12 guage shotshell boxes, and what was in there? About 40 paper hulled 12 guage shells from four different manufacturers. 3" number 4s and 6s. I guess they were from my grandpa's collection of ammo. I have no idea where they came from.

Graybird

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuaneinND:
.. wax build up in the forcing cone ...

Oh yeah, just for clerical purposes, I'm not the first person who used the term "wax" in this thread either. tu2

Graybird

one of us
posted Hide Post
I meant plastic, I must have been thinking about Remington 22 shells. I use a brake hone to remove the build up and polish the forcing cone to reduce future build up.
I your case if the chamber is polished and clean, the extractor is more than likely the culprit. My guess is that if you examine it real close with a magnifying glass that you might find either a broken tip or the end is worn and needs to be replaced. Option 2 is as already mentioned remove and clean the spring and plunger, could be rust, gunk, or WAX- ha ha.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote