Find
Notify
Tools

bedding stock with mutliple lugs
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted
I just received my CZ550 .416 Rigby and I'm contemplating how to bed the rifle. I've done quite a few but never one like this. The fly in the ointment is the extra lug in the barrel channel. So far the only suggestion I've received is to delete the barrel lug, add a front cross bolt and bed as I normally would. I'm considering this option, but also looking for other input from those with more experienced than I with bedding a stock like this. Would leaving in the extra lug and bedding the complete barrel channel be desirable? Thanks Rob

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bed both recoil lugs. That is what it is there for, to distribute the recoil. The cross bolt behind the first lug is a good idea.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I'd put in a second crossbolt and steelbed the tang and action and first 1.5 inches of the barrel. Forget that stupid second floating recoil lug CZ uses. The .416 Rigby doesn't generate enough steam to require it unless you are going to try and duplicate 378 WbY velocities. If you are going that route then drill and tap the barrel to fasten their lug down and glass bed its rear face only.
When I first built my 500A2 using the CZ stock I didn't at first use the second lug. The stock seemed oK, but I later added a proper one for my own satisfaction. A 500A2 generates a heck of alot more recoil than a .416 Rigby-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply's. I'll be loading to standard velocity's. I hear so many conflicting reports about stock splitting it gets a tad confusing! dempsey

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glass bedding a barrel lug is no real problem but be sure an bed only the rear surface and cut out a lot of wood in front of the barrel that lug or you will have a permanently together rifle.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote