Find
Notify
Tools

Inletting / Bedding Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted
I am in the middle of redong an old Mauser rifle of mine. Lost some weight in the metal and putting a semi-inletted stock on her.
I have to say my inletting is a lot better than what I use to do years ago. Anyway, after inletting this old truck gun I bedded it with acruglass and let it set all night. The whole inletting job was done and after all set up its fairly normal to have to tap it out of the wood. After cleaning up all metal and wood I went to put it all back together, has to be tapped back in and out.
QUESTION IS, can you bed an action to tight? I have to use the screws to draw barrel and action down into stock.
Is happiness a tight.... stock?

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
When you bed them tight the bedding will wear as you remove and reinstall the barreled action.

For a truck gun it won't matter.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
Happiness IS a tight .....stock

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There-in lies the reason why there is "draft" built into some parts.

Usually though, once you remove the metal from the bedding, go back and relieve some of the areas that don't matter, like the front and sides of the recoil lug and a tiny bit from the rear tang area. If you look at the bedding right after you have put it back the first time, you can see where it is dragging and needs to be relieved. I use a small chisel and take only about .005" or so. When you put it back it will slide in easier.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, guys. Jim, the areas you mention has these clearances. I've had them snug but this one is as tight as a kittens butthole! Big Grin

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how would you know how tigh........aaahhh, never mind!

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
A guy I work with ran that one past me the other day, Sorry if I affended anyone!