THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Interesting and unusual extract & feed malfunction

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting and unusual extract & feed malfunction
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was out shooting last weekend. Running through some drills with my pistols burning up some old ammo. I brought my little AMT Backup in .380 along. Fired 45 rounds when I went to insert the last 5 round mag into the frame. The gun would no longer chamber a round. Upon close inspection it appeared that I had suffered a stuck case and the little gun had ripped the entire case head off and left the rest of the case in the chamber. Well that ended the evenings shooting with that gun. As it was getting late I packed up and went home. That little AMT is a bugger to take apart. I was expecting to have some difficulty in getting the case out. It just slide right out with no fuss. That's when I got my little surprise. What I though was a case were the head was ripped off turned out to be a fully intact case that had rechambered 180 degrees backwards. The gun had fired the 5th round from the mag and extracted the case, flipped it 180 degrees and ran it back into the chamber. I have fired thousands of rounds from semi-autos and suffered all kinds of extraction and feed failures but this is definately a first. I figure it is one of those 1 in a million type failures. Kind of interesting though.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just answered your problem with the 17 that had feed problems, now this with a .380 and an impossible event...but I got it figured out!

Your snakebit as we say in Idaho!

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Ray, I am confused and if I may say so I think you are too.

I do not own a .17 caliber anything.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote