Find
Notify
Tools

Drops and Angles Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
If one considers the centerline of the bore to be the reference point, what should the drop at the toe (does this change and why)?

What should the angle of the butt(??) be in relation to the bore axis.

Which of these affects "felt" recoil most?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The normal term is 'drop at heel' since the heel determines the height relationship of the shooter's shoulder and eye. The length of the buttplate will then determine the drop at toe.

The butt angle is called the 'pitch' and is measured VERY haphazardly IMO. Neutral pitch theoretically provides the least felt recoil combined with the most control of the gun while under recoil. Greater pitch will increase felt recoil while lesser pitch will result in the butt slipping down off the shooter's shoulder during recoil. Neutral pitch is obtained when the gun is stood vertically on its butt and an imaginary vertical line dropped from its muzzle passes through the centerline of the buttplate. Greater pitch is when the vertical line passes closer to the toe, lesser pitch is when the vertical line passes closer to the heel.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Or simply, the straighter the stock is with the bore, the less the felt recoil. The further out of alignment it is, the more it is felt.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Pitch is something that needs to be thought about in tearms of the shooters chest shape. A shooters with a stout chest will need the pitch to reflect this or the toe will take the majority of the recoil into the chest muscle. It is all very well saying negative pitch will have the butt ride up the shoulder but if it reflects the chest shape the results are better. I built mine with 7mm cast off, minus 3 degresss pitch, and 7mm toe out to reflect my chest shape and the rifle comes up level and true with full and even contact.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2688 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When shooting iron sights,I find the Obendorf style stock(dropping comb and slim forearm) falls in place and gets the sights aligned with my eye and the target easier.A straighter stock requires that I extend my back up somewhat to get the sights aligned and this causes me to shoot in a less comfortable position.Recoil from a straight stock comes straight back at 100 percent and somewhat back and muzzle up for the Obendorf.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
The normal term is 'drop at heel' since the heel determines the height relationship of the shooter's shoulder and eye. The length of the buttplate will then determine the drop at toe.

The butt angle is called the 'pitch' and is measured VERY haphazardly IMO. Neutral pitch theoretically provides the least felt recoil combined with the most control of the gun while under recoil. Greater pitch will increase felt recoil while lesser pitch will result in the butt slipping down off the shooter's shoulder during recoil. Neutral pitch is obtained when the gun is stood vertically on its butt and an imaginary vertical line dropped from its muzzle passes through the centerline of the buttplate. Greater pitch is when the vertical line passes closer to the toe, lesser pitch is when the vertical line passes closer to the heel.
Regards, Joe

Joe: Try that rule with a lot of drop at the heel and you won't be able to keep it on your shoulder. If you measure pitch by degrees from the bore C/L..you can get pretty exact regardless of sights or drop usually 3-5 derees will fit and the buttplate will stay were it needs to be.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote