Find
Notify
Tools

M98 Foilowers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

As explained in the "making to feed" sticky thread, I have a 1909 Argentine action that has been reheat treated and barreled to .376 Steyr.

Have not touched the magazine box or follower.

Feeds everything but the last round in the magazine just fine.

I swapped in the follower from a Higgins commercial FN made M98 and the feeding problems disappeared completely. Works great with both softs and solids. Same is true of the follower from a Manchester marked standard length Merk X action for magnum cartridges.

The two followers are different. The FN follower is cut a bit deeper and more to the left. The ridge of the follower itself is considerably thinner and the same width at both ends rather than tapered to be thicker at the front.

Couple of questions:

1) Is an original 1909 Argentine follower of any unusual value or interest to the community?

2) Is an original 1909 Argentine follower substantially different from an M98 military follower?

3) If it has not interest (that is, can be easily replaced if someone doesn't have one), I can mill it ... if I can figure out how to hold it. Any ideas on holding it for milling?

Thanks a bunch!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The Argie follower was designed to feed the more tapered (smaller OD at the shoulder) 7.65x53 round. Thus the difference.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to try a follower from a miltary 98 (8 or 7x57) or one from a Springfield before you fire up the mill.
Also, the extractor for the Argentine round differs slightly from those used for the 7 & 8x57 s.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Jus tcut a wedge to hold it in the mill vise. I use a tapered endmill. This is one I did.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got the VZ.24 based 9,3x62 out of the safe and swapped its follower into the .376 Steyr.

Works in every configuration I can think to test. Now I just need to buy another one of those as a better starting point.

Any suggested suppliers?

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Give me your address and I'll send you a standard german 98 follower.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
15 minutes with a hand grinder will solve the last round feeding problem. I have published a couple of pictures on this site showing the method. I learned the method from David Miller and have not had it fail to work.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote