Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP ?
 Login/Join

posted
I sold a new take off barrel to a fella. During the shipment the barrel was somehow pushed out of the box. When this occured it messed up some of the threads. What kinda of predicament am i faced with here? I know it should have been insured. But I never thought about it and the buyer never brought it up. I just shipped it for a flat rate of $10 usps priority. Which actually ended up costing more than than the $10. Heres the deal, he recieved it today and emailed me telling me that it somehow came out the end of the box and two or three of the threads are bent and the face is scuffed.

He states he wants the barrel fixed. I have offered to pay half the cost to cover chasing the threads and facing the chamber. And probably having the chamber recut for the difference in head spacing.

2 Questions: What is a decent price to have all this done?
Would you fellas take a stranger at face value?

I consider myself an honest person. But I think the no insurance is as much my fault as it is his. I have pictures of the barrel showing it in a new state before shoipping it. Please HELP as I am in a delima. I want to make things right but don't want to be taken advantage of either. References are welcome for the work.

Thanks everyone...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel as though the responsability of getting the barrel to him in good shape is entirely yours. The buyer certainly did not either package it or mail it uninsured. Just my feelings. Good luck

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I somewhat agree. However, once it is in the post office hands. Am I liable at that point? I mean ins. was never brought up on either end. Thank you for your opinion. Seriously. I feel like I should have brought it up prior to shipping. I sort of feel like anything shipped through usps needs to be insured. Regardless of if it is just an empty box.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was as long thread about shipping damage responseability of the parties on uninsured packages a couple or 3 weeks ago.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanx, I'll look it up.

posted Hide Post
Regardless of responsibility. Does anyone know the ballpark prices for these services. He wishes to keep the barrel and wants it fixed. Thanks again..

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Price would depend on what action this barrel is for, how out of whack it is and if there are sights or extractor cuts requiring correct timing. But yes, it is easy to pick up the existing thread and recut them with the lathe. Piece of cake! For example, on a simple, no sight, Mauser type barrel about $30.00 plus return shipping and insurance if it came here.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
Price would depend on what action this barrel is for, how out of whack it is and if there are sights or extractor cuts requiring correct timing. But yes, it is easy to pick up the existing thread and recut them with the lathe. Piece of cake! For example, on a simple, no sight, Mauser type barrel about $30.00 plus return shipping and insurance if it came here.

W/O insurance you're SOL (and responsible, I think). Way I see it you got 2 choices, take the barrel back and refund the money, or send it to Malm and have it fixed. Damaged, it is worthless to both of you.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Already decided I am fault and have learned a valuable lesson. BTW its a 700 Action. I am gonna pay to have it corrected. Thanks again.