THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

tungsten as powdered metal in bedding epoxy?
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
Anyone done this?

Seems like an efficent way to add weight to a gun

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

what does a pound of tungsten weight

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tungsten is very heavy stuff. There are exactly 16 oz. in a pound of it.

It's a lot more dense than lead... 50% at least.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Billy,
it's an interesting question...

I think it's 1/5 of that 5# of feathers in a stocking weighs

jeffe

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
(updated per chic)

well, I guess folks have

powdered W is avaible for bedding kits

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1038

specific gracity.

water=1

iron 7.850

copper =8.930

lead 11.340

mercury 13.593

gold 19.320

tungsten 19.600

uranium is only 18.900 (unknown atomic weight)

tungsten is "only" 173% the weight of lead..

lead is like a 1" circle, .600 high per oz... so tungsten should be about .347 high...

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Veerrryyyy innnnteresting!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,
Did you lose a decimal somewhere in the specific gravities?

I'll buy lead being 11.340.

Still do not think that you will acheive any significant increase in weight, considering the percent of "filler" in the epoxy.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Chic,
I am thinking about using this two ways... one, as a replacement for SS in the epoxy for feeding (normal amount) and two as a spot filler for weight, like lead shot.. I'ld expect that I could used a smaller volume for the same weight in that way... and/or more weight more volume..

just want to prep myself for the 550!!

jeffe

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
For the part where you're just adding weight, I think I'd forgo the epoxy and just seal the metal into the stock with a wood plug. It wouldn't have to be very deep so long as it was properly glued and tight. Just the thing to bring up a .505 to 12 lbs., IMO.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Sarge,
I am expecting to bring my 550 to 10-10.5, and trying to get the weight perfect.. hence, heavy in defined areas. And, if it's just too much recoil, here comes 11.5

jeffe

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Brownell's touts the tungsten as an additive to bedding compound. I bought some but haven't gotten around to using it yet.

At over $47 per pound for the tungsten, I think I'd stick with lead or mercury recoil reducers for adding weight.

The tube-shaped Blaser recoil reducer uses about a pound of tungsten beads (instead of mercury) and costs about $170. It works as advertised.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Gents,
Corbon sells tugnsten powder 7000, and 35000.. for 19 and 98 bucks... or, to put it in english, 7000gr = 16oz.. for 20 bucks. Less than half the price from brownells...

I wonder if dumb as a rock jeffe couldn't take a 1/2" water pipe, screw caps on either end (then turn the caps down on my lathe) and pack a # of tungsten in it, as a recoil tube.. and QUITER than merc?

Hmm, this sounds like something to try.....

so, right now, corbon is the cheapest, at 20 bucks a pound.. 98 for 5 pounds...

jeffe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I've used #12 ("dust") lead shot mixed with epoxy when I wanted to add weight. Trouble is I used it all and I think it's kinda hard to find these days.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Because the tungsten is in powder form, I would think you would get inconsistent recoil characteristics due to differences in settled tungsten powder before firing. The mercury works because it is a liquid and settles at a more consistent plain.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jeff, It has been a very long time since I've had to monkey around with either adding weight to a rifle or just changing the balance. Seems I'm happy with most rifles as I buy them, or I let someone else own them.

Trying to remember some old tricks for you. I suppose you are aware that you can "Duct Tape" Wheel Weights or fishing Sinkers to the outside of the rifle to get an idea on how the extra weight you want to add affects the recoil.

Taping the weights on also allows you to move them back and forth on the stock to achieve the "balance" you desire. (Less weight toward the muzzle will balance the same as more weight toward the receiver - duuuhhh.)

If you get it where you like the balance and recoil, then you have an idea of "where" that same exact amount of taped weight needs to be added inside the stock. At that point, you may decide Lead will not take up too much space and can use it. Or, you may look at it and decide that going with the Tungsten is worth the extra cost.

I've seen a few folks do the "Mix Lead with Epoxy" and some were happy and some were not. It is not totally impossible to reverse and change the position when using Lead, but my "guess" is that Tungsten might be tough on tools(anyone feel free to educate me on this if I guessed wrong).

If possible, open a spot for the weight, put it in and "Cap it". If you are using a Termite Food stock, it is relatively easy to "drill and seal". If using a synthetic stock, and if there is enough space, you can fill a piece of an arrow shaft(or 2) with the lead, seal it, place it(them) in the forend and even get the benefit of a bit more rigidity.

Put the Lead in the rear of the stock inside a container and seal it in place. We used Asprin bottles, and they worked fine. Come to think of it, I do believe this was a mix with RTV or Bondo inside the bottle. Wouldn't want to bet on that though.

And you could melt the Lead and pour a plug of any size you want. Even be able to hammer it out a bit if needed to reshape it slightly.

I see your reference to using "Pipe". Haven't seen that used, but it should work if you have room for it.

Just remember that however it initially turns out, you can always change it if there is something you don't like about it.

Or do as I do, buy one you like to start with.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone happen to know whether the Blaser tungsten bead recoil reducer has the beads loose in the tube, or might the tube contain a liquid (to dampen movement?) also? How "full" is the tube with tungsten beads?

Posts: 203 | Location: in & of Dixie | Registered: 17 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The beads appear to be loose and the tube is at least 2/3 to 3/4 full of them, maybe more.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote