New
Find
Notify
Tools

7 Pound Trigger on New BLR
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok, I just bought a NIB SS Browning Lever Action in 300 WSM, not that I need it, but it looks cool.

Anyway, if it was a mdl 70 or Mauser the trigger wouldnt be a problem, but this thing looks funky. I put the scale on it.........it pegged at 7 pounds. I spoke with Dennis Olson, he said not much can be done with them, stone it and it will help a little, but thats about it.

Anybody had any luck working the trigger on one of these things.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Billy,

Just my opinion, but the crispness of the let off has always been far more important to me than the actual weight required to achieve it.

I would bet that liability lawyers are somewhat responsible for this due to the physical/mechanical nature of operating a lever action weapon where the trigger finger can come into contact with the trigger so easily when closing and chambering a round.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Rick on this.

Just by smoothing things up and getting rid of any roughness on the trigger/sear surfaces, you will get a much better pull.

The actual pounds may not change significantly, but it will FEEL much better.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent my 2 BLR 81's to Neil Jones some years back. The first one was a .308. He got the pull down to about 4lbs with a little creep, but much better than the factory. The next year I sent him my .35Whelen made from a 30-06. That one he got down to 3.5lbs and no creep.

He said they were a PIA to do so I don't think he'll do any more.

Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One is hard pressed to find a factory rifle with a trigger of less than 5lbs most are set at 6 or more.

That is why the after market triggers are big.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I figured it would be 5 pounds or so, but I have no experence with anything but bolt guns for the most part.

I stopped by Dewight Marshals shop on the way to Houston yesterday and he said he had not had much luck other than smothing them up some.

I'll keep digging and find out who the best Lever trigger guy is and send it to him and hope for the best. Probaly call Jim Brockman on Monday and see what he says

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the posters hit the nail on the head. The liability of doing, especially lever action trigger, work is not worth the small profit. Too big a chance to take for little money. I've done a few for freinds, ones that I know will not leave their families, and they turn out good, but they are not great triggers. They're time consuming to do.
In all honesty, and I love lever action guns, but if you want a nice, or even decent, trigger, the Browning lever is not the gun for you. A M94, or a Marlin are the guns to look at. It's sad that it has to be this way but that's what the lawyers have bargained for us, and we have to live with it. I'm lucky that I can do my own work, if you can't I suggest you stick with something else with a better trigger design, that lends itself to smoothing up.

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby:
I'm lucky that I can do my own work, if you can't I suggest you stick with something else with a better trigger design, that lends itself to smoothing up.

Savage 99's are very easy to slick up.

Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote