New
Find
Notify
Tools

McGowen Rifle Barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had an old Parker Hale rifle built on a Brno double flattop action in 308 Norma with a 22 in barrel. While it shot OK and was nice to carry with that short barrel it would barely make 2900 fps with 180 gr bullets. I ordered a new barrel from Harry last winter (26 in # 3)in 308 Norma. Played with it a bit this summer and have found that I'm getting 1/2 in groups (3 shots) at 200 yds with 165 gr Barnes TSX in Norma cases ,73 grs of IMR 4350 sparked by CCI250 primers. I kind of like that. Thanks for a good barrel Harry.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowman,
You oughta take that to a BR match. With BR bullets you will be shooting 1/4" groups.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch You may be right but I don't think I'm going to do that. I kind of like hunting with a good Mauser. I have a new barrel thats nice and tight and shooting good groups. The throat isn't half washed out developing an accurate load. Its in a caliber I can use on just about any North American game. If I just hunt with that rifle it should last me the rest of my hunting career.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote