New
Find
Notify
Tools

M96 fireing pin
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there a aftermarket fireing pin for a m96 swede or a "trick" light weight one avalable?

I have bent ones that cant be helping accuracy.

This is for a custom sporter

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I've not seen any for sale but I haven't been looking.
You may try Brownell's, Numrich and maybe Dayton-Traister who makes a speedlock kit for the 96's.
Good luck with your project.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Snwellstrom, Numrich web site does say they have them.

Im wondering how many bent fireing pin, or not perfectly straight ones are in other mauser bolts and how it effects accuracy

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure my two aren't bent or if they are they aren't phasing the accuracy any as both are shooting well, one in .257 Rob and the other in 6.5x55.
One of these days I may get nervous and re-check them though now that you've planted the idea!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Im wondering how many bent fireing pin, or not perfectly straight ones are in other mauser bolts and how it effects accuracy

A bent firing pin can drag and reduce lock time which is known to affect accuracy. If you have access to a lathe, a hammer and a dial indicator, they are a piece of cake to straighten.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a hammer, no lathe though...

It was supposedly straightened by a smith a few years ago, I just happen to check it. Maybe it was bent worse at one time.

Then I pulled 2 others out of two mil rifles, a 1943 m38 husky and from a 1900 m38/96 carl gustuf and checked them. One bent worse, one straight.

Kind of wonder how they got bent.