New
Find
Notify
Tools

mounting screws needed, can't find
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Pachmayr tip off scope mount, that uses a 6x48 screw with a 3/8" inch shank. But the top is 5/16's and flat, and BEVELED from the edge of the top/cap, to the shank. Someone, it appears has counter sunk the screw holes to handle this wider, beleveled head. I took the mount to a guy to photograph so I could post if for sale, and he lost 2 of the screws. Wondering if any one knows where I might find some. these referred to a Weaver style and are, kinda, but the bevel continues back up to the edge of the cap, rather than starting lower, and the cap is wider than a normal Weaver screw. any help will be much appreciated.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I believe you are, what the driver did to the screws.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee Brownells sells long 6x48 screws. But what you're describing sounds like ordinary 82 degree machine screws. Have you tried a 6x48 screw in the holes to be sure the guy just didn't strip them and open them up to 6x32, 8x32 or some funky-metric-shit 82 degree machine screws?

http://www.brownells.com/gunsm...w-kit-prod41830.aspx

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The head shape and length you describe sound like Ruger rib mounting screws, which technically I believe are called "flat head cap screws." Only problem is that the Ruger screws I have are an 8x36 thread. As above, are you sure of the 6x48 thread size? Other than the Ruger's, I can't find them anywhere in reference to firearms.

These are available from Fastenal in 6x40 and 8x36, but not 6x48.
https://www.fastenal.com/produ...ound6%20-%2040%22$|~

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote