New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana 1999 questions???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wondering if the actions need any work or are they a basicly a drop in? The reason I ask as I'm looking to build a new .338-06 if I were to buy a Win M70 classic used and have it blue printed I'd be about the same cost as a Montana action. I've got a McMillan Hunters Edge stock I'll be using that is already inletted for the Montana 1999 action but the Win 670 .30-06 I have fits in it as well so I'm good to go either way.

I have no problems using the M670 action either for the build as I picked it up a long time ago super cheap. Paying the blueprinting costs on it and I'd be far less into it than either of the other two actions. I just prefer the looks of the Montana or M70 classic actions.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The stainless Montana actions could be considered ready to go if you can stand a little roughness until it gets cycled a few hundred times. The other will at a minimum need to be blued.

The good thing about them is they are usually true where it counts. The bad thing, if you want to call it that, is they need massaging to be smooth and may need feed work depending onthe round. My short action doesn't like to feed 308. You would think that case would be the one they built it around. But then mine are charter issues so they may not represent what you get for full price.

All of mine were over polished by custom standards.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Whelen built on a CM MRC 1999 LH action, and my riflesmith had to work on it to get it to feed from the right side. Left side cartridge fed just fine, but the right side wouldn't.

Just one data point...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .375 Taylor built on a MRC 1999 Long action. It is the smoothest action I own, including several Mausers. My gunsmith said he had to do very little to true mine, but the first one he worked on was a bit of a nightmare.

MK160

MK160

Posts: 58 | Location: East TN | Registered: 22 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm headed to the Smith's tomorrow with a couple of small projects. I'll see what he thinks as well, before I make the decision.

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got one for a .375 H&H and was pretty impressed with the improvments made in the last few years, especially the finish. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taylorce1,

I have a Montana 1999 in .330 Dakota on a Accurate Innovations Turkish walnut stock if you are interested. Never been hunting, just shot from the bench 50-60 times.
Just a thought.
Would be interested in selling or trading.

Thanks,

Don

Posts: 39 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 March 2008Reply With Quote