THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Time to Make a Decision - 338 WM or 338-06 and 9.3x62

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time to Make a Decision - 338 WM or 338-06 and 9.3x62
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Okay, been putting off this decision for a while, but it's time that I do something.
Here are the current Rifles:

Kimber 8400 Montana (Stainless), 338 WM
Springfield Sporterized - 22-250 Currently
Pre-War Model 70 Altered - 30-06 Currently

Option 1 - Keep the Kimber, get rid of the other two. Issues - Not a fan of recoil or stainless. Free up money to plan another hunt.

Option 2 - Get rid of the Kimber, rebarrel and upgrade the Springfield to a 338-06, rebore and upgrade the Model 70 to 9.3x62 (35 Whelen in the Springfield and 338-06 in the 70 is an option as well - just can't go European cartridge in a Springfield). Issue - will cost more money than I will get from selling the Kimber. End up with the start of two nice customs, have a few English walnut blanks have been saving for such builds.

I live in NY, hunt whitetails in PA and NY, have lots of 308 Win based rifles, would like to have a nice, reasonable recoil rifle or 2 to use for Moose and Elk when the opportunity presents itself, hopefully in a couple of years.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated. Thanks.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my 9.3X62.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I love my 9.3X62.

I luv each of my rifles. I would never get rid of either my .338-06 or 9,3x62.

But one could argue that if you built one of the two you would not need the other.

For longer shots the .338 has the advantage but for larger game I feel the 9,3 has an advantage.

Both are easy to load for and, on the whole, extremely accurate. It is hard to go wrong with either. Pick one and don't look back. Whcih one speaks to you most?

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
I luv each of my rifles. I would never get rid of either my .338-06 or 9,3x62.

But one could argue that if you built one of the two you would not need the other.

"Need" has nothing to do with it Cool
The way I look at it is, the two rifles that would be converted have already been modified, having little resale value. Would likely build one, then the other.

Guess I am already leaning that way. Can anyone give real world experience on the differences between a 338 WM and a 338-06 or 9.3x62? All I have been able to find so far is 200 fps and a lot more recoil.

Thanks again.

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both 338's. The mag is in a T-3 lite SS and I can always load it to 338-06 levels. 338-06 to 338 mag not so much. If I could only keep one it would be the 338 Winchester Mag. I can not comment on the 9.3 but hear it is a good one.

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dump them all, and buy a modern .338 Win. Mag.

Load it down for white-tails, and up for moose, etc.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have .338 WM and .338-06. I don't see a lot of difference between the two in usability and recoil, but if I had to choose one it would be the .338Win mag as it can be loaded down do the work of the .338-06, but the .338-06 won't reach to the level of the mag, and doesn't have the versatility with heavy bullets.

This is really an exercise in having fun deciding what to do, building the rifles, and getting them working. I do that a lot. Many of my rifles will never be used by me beyond their break in and testing rounds. Pick one or both rifles, and have at it. Stop when your interest drops or you run out of available cash to amuse yourself with.

If hunting elk and moose is really the criteria, just use your 308. I've shot 11 elk with a .308, only one took 2 shots, and the second shot really was superfluous anyway. Good bullets make it perfectly effective on elk and moose.

dave

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Dump them all, and buy a modern .338 Win. Mag.

Load it down for white-tails, and up for moose, etc.

George

That's part of the problem. The 338 WM that I have is a modern rifle, a Kimber 8400 Montana, so about 7.5 lbs with scope. A little rough for me to think of 'loading it up' for dangerous game.

As far as loading down, how far can you go safely without putting filler in the case? I have some 185 gr TTSX's for my 338 Federal that would be the start of a light load I guess.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I love my 9.3X62.

I'd have to second that I don't own one but I'm looking as it's on my wish list.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Sell the Kimber and the Springfield and go hunting with the 06.

Do you really think a 180grn 308 cal projectile is not going to kill any elk or moose on the planet.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
I have used a 338-06 AI on something like a 100 critters and simply love it. Great to load down or up. Earl

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
How far down can you safely load a .338 Win Mag without using fillers? Down to at least 30-30 level if you use the correct powder(s). Actually you can go a lot lower than that, but why even try to do it? A dead animal won't be harmed by being "even more dead", or more quickly dead.

You CAN load low enough to degrade accuracy a bit if you don't have experience using low intensity loads in your rifle, but the only way to get that experience is to start working with low level loads, in YOUR rifle.

You know the old saw about every rifle being a law unto itself as to which loads it likes? Well, that applies across ALL intensity levels.

C'mon, 'fess up. Down deep you already knew all that. This is really just a conversation-starter topic, isn't it?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
So Earl,,,how do you sight your rifle in for neck shots on giraffe??

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1413 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sight it in high!! Windage is what would matter!

kk alaska

one of us
Picture of PaulH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmallCal:
Okay, been putting off this decision for a while, but it's time that I do something.
Here are the current Rifles:

Kimber 8400 Montana (Stainless), 338 WM
Springfield Sporterized - 22-250 Currently
Pre-War Model 70 Altered - 30-06 Currently

I live in NY, hunt whitetails in PA and NY, have lots of 308 Win based rifles, would like to have a nice, reasonable recoil rifle or 2 to use for Moose and Elk when the opportunity presents itself, hopefully in a couple of years.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated. Thanks.

Keep them all and build a 270-08 for your whitetails.

Use the 338WM for the Moose/Elk

Posts: 218 | Location: Liquid Sunshine State | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
If it were me I wouldn't get rid of any of the rifles you have but if I were giving someone advice I would say sell the Kimber sell the Springfield and put the money into refurbishing the Model 70 in 30/06 and top it with a good scope, leave it as a 30/06 and shoot everything under the sun with it using 180 grain bullets.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
You're going to do what your going to do but I guess you just want to hear opinions and comments.

It sounds like you want to:

A) Reduce number of rifles
B) Get rid of the Kimber because you don't like stainless and the recoil
C) Build a custom medium using one of your nice wood blanks
D) Decide on caliber

Elementary, Watson:

1) Kimber is gone because you don't like stainless and recoil
2) Get rid of a second rifle ('03) but keep the one best suited for nice rebuild (Win 70)
3) Your Win 70 has standard boltface and magazine so 338 WM is out because of extra work and you don't like the recoil. You don't seem a big fan of the 9.3 ("just can't go European") so logical choice of caliber from the three you mentioned is 338-06. If you like the barrel on your Win 70 you could probably get it rebored to 338-06.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's my take.

The most common sense practical rifle battery one can own is 22, 30 cal and 375.

1. You need to sell the Kimber because you do not like it. Not because of cartridge/caliber.
2. Although I am a huge 338-06 fan, your 30-06 will do anything the 338-06 will do, and you already own more 308 based rifles.
3. Options:
- get a 375 something (practical)
- 9.3x62 (from your choices)
- 9.3x64 Brenneke (something different and for all intents and purposes the equivalent of 375 H&H.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Are you looking at cartridge/caliber or rifle??? or whining...can't decide which from your posts. No flame or diss intended...just wondering how to answer the question.

Decide which you want...or not. Make the decision on what YOU like, not what others think is right, based on what YOU expect to use it for.

I have a 40 year old 338-06 that will kill ANYTHING on the planet...I built a 9.3x62 that will kill anything on the planet...I have 375, 416, 44, 45, 50 and larger cals if I want heavier and heavier bullets, and I don't pay much attention to brands.. As long as they function properly for their intended usage, they're ALL good.

I shoot lighter(relatively speaking, 225gr - 250 gr) smaller dia. bullets at higher velos in the 338-06...I shoot heavier, larger dia. bullets at lower velos in the 9.3(286gr - 320gr)...larger dia. usually means harder hitting...argumentively speaking. The 338 WM just achieves higher velos with the same bullets as the 338-06 basically.

For my part...all the hoohaa over "which is best" is total krap..."best for what/who/why", it's just personal bias. So let your bias decide for you and get the job done, then ENJOY what you end up with...you can ALWAYS buy/build another rifle and cover all the bases. Big Grin dancing shocker

Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. Guess I was leaning in one direction and this weekend pushed it over the edge. Carried one of the other Kimbers that's a stainless this weekend, did not like it at all, so the 338 WM is going to go.

Yes the 30-06 will work, but just want something different. Guess it's kind of like not liking a stainless rifle, it would work, easy maintenance, just can't warm up to it. The Model 70 will get the first modifications, the Springield will go back in the safe for future thought.

Foobar - not sure how you came up with whining and not offended, just asking for suggestions from people who have the calibers listed. Wondering if they have seen any appreciable real word difference between the three calibers listed to see what I might be giving up one way or the other. To each his own.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:

Foobar - not sure how you came up with whining and not offended.

Kinda wondered about that myself?

Anyway, what did you decide to buy or build?

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Going to have the Pre-War Model 70 rebored to either a 338-06 or 9.3x62, just depends on if a 30-06 can go to the 9.3x62 directly or not.

While there it will get a more modern 3 position safety, and a smoothing/clean-up. From there, I'll put it through it's paces to make sure it's a keeper Smiler

If so, new bottom metal, possibly a new bolt handle, rust blueing, and a nice english walnut stock.

Thanks again for all of the input.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Going to have the Pre-War Model 70 rebored to either a 338-06 or 9.3x62, just depends on if a 30-06 can go to the 9.3x62 directly or not.

While there it will get a more modern 3 position safety, and a smoothing/clean-up. From there, I'll put it through it's paces to make sure it's a keeper Smiler

If so, new bottom metal, possibly a new bolt handle, rust blueing, and a nice english walnut stock.

Thanks again for all of the input.

Sounds nice. The 9,3 reamer will clean up the old '06 chamber. It would be sweet.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
"not a fan of stainless or recoil".

"Can't go Europeon cartridge in a Springfield"

Maybe "whine" implied something to you that wasn't meant by me...how about "complain" or your personal bias or...take you pick of the word YOU like...basically something YOU don't like and are taking issue with...nothing more.

EVERYONE WHINES ALL THE TIME...anytime you say or imply you don't like something or would rather have something else.

THAT'S WHY I SAID "NO DISS OR FLAME INTENDED".

I whine about things I don't like...or complain...or make a statement to the contrary...or say "I would rather have..."...why in the HELL do people look for negativity all the time...and find it in innocent statements. Jezzz...MY WHINE!!!!!!!

Luck

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Stop whining, go shooting. You need some stress relief! Big Grin Oops, did I just whine? Cool

Aut vincere aut mori