New
Find
Notify
Tools

Twist rate
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there a method for determining barrel twist rate? I bought a special edition Ruger #1 made for the RMEF It is a 270 Weatherby magnum. I suspect it is 1:10.

Thanks

Posts: 71 | Location: Dover, New Hampshire | Registered: 14 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Use a cleaning rod with a well fitting patch. Get it started in the barrel. put a line or a dot on the rod far enough away from the barrel so you can se it rotate 360 degrees. Mark a spot on the rod that you can repeat after the rod is push down the barrel. Like the edge of the barrel the beginning of the chamber something. Shove the rod in the barrel till your original mark has rotated 360 degrees. Mark the rod again same as you did in relation to what ever reference point you're using. Measure between the two marks that's your twist rate. Don't worry if it's a little off. Like 10 1/4 inches 9 7/8" etc that close enough to one and ten to not make a difference. Rifling lathes don't hold very close tolerances on twist rates.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
answer here:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...?r=41910134#41910134

So I typed all that for nothing??? Big Grin

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
answer here:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...?r=41910134#41910134

So I typed all that for nothing??? Big Grin

Not at all, you were just typin' faster than me finding that post. I was being lazy and didn't want to type instructions. Wink

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all. it worked. I got 1:10

Posts: 71 | Location: Dover, New Hampshire | Registered: 14 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wallace Gaye:
Thank you all. it worked. I got 1:10

There you go I'm glad WE (as in all of us) could be of help

www.KLStottlemyer.com