New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm BR Norma on a Mauser 98 Receiver?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone here built a 6mm BR Norma on a Mauser receiver?

Can one be made to feed?

TIA.

flaco

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
If you are leaning more toward a target rifle, have you considered a single shot? That would probably negate 95% of any feeding issues you might have with this round.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason-

Yep, I've considered single shot. Mauser is CRF, but I believe the extractor can be beveled to chamber the case.

(IIRC, one of our most talented contributors detailed the procedure here.)

And I'm skeptical about to getting it to feed.

But it would make an excellent target/varmint rifle.

And I like building Mausers.

flaco

posted Hide Post
I recently built a 7.62x39mm chambered Mauser with a Turkish Small Ring Receiver. I had to put a short action follower and a Delrin Spacer in the magazine (Numrich has these for like $20) and I used a brand new extractor to securely extract the fired cases. wIth the BR line of cases already at .473 you shouldn't have extraction issues and if you convert to a short action magazine with a filler block you should have an issue with feeding.

Bruce

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I've got an unfinished 6mm BR on a 98/22 receiver down on the workbench now.

Used a new take-off 6mm Remington 40-X barrel, cut off the breech, recontoured slightly, fit and chambered for .273 neck 6 BR Norma(for unmodified Lapua brass).

I bought a Richard's Marksman pattern stock for it, just need to finish the inletting for an ADL triggerguard, and epoxy in a single shot follower/magazine well plug and it'll be ready to go.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I'm not the only eccentric in the group.

Admittedly, it's a little like putting a dual overhead cam fuel injected engine in a Model A chassis.

But stranger things have happened.

If I do this, I'm hoping not to give up too much accuracy to lack of rigidity in the receiver.

Thanks for the feeding tips, Bruce.

And your's really sounds like a mutt dog, fireball. I like the idea of the 40-X barrel, and the Lapua brass is one of the attractions.

I've been advised that there's a 'smith in Colorado who specializes in bushing the firing pin hole in the bolt, so the tip of the pin can be whittled down a little for the small rifle primer.

Thanks.

flaco

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Greg Tannel does a great job of firing pin hole bushing...never considered having him do a Mauser bolt.

www.gretanrifles.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flaco:

Admittedly, it's a little like putting a dual overhead cam fuel injected engine in a Model A chassis.

Don't you mean putting a compact engine in a Mercedes Benz W196.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Admittedly not the best of analogies, 1894mk2, but I'm not certain yours is better.

The W196 was undoubtedly a balanced machine, with all components conceived with one harmonious goal in mind.

I am an unabashed Mauser lover, but would never claim a 98 action to have been, like the 6mm BR Norma, designed specifically for accuracy.

Paul Mauser was way too practical for that.

No.

It's an impractical mismatch, an inspired but now archaic--if more than serviceable--action, with a thoroughbred chambering.

Even the lowly Remington 700 would probably be better suited.

But I can build a Mauser, and as often as not make decisions on the basis of what I like, or want, and am willing enough to at least research the topic, and see if anyone else has had such an impractical ambition, and how it turned out.

What I'd like to know is whether the round can be made to cycle?

Will it feed from a sled as a single shot?

Will it be appreciably more accurate than say a 6.5x55?

Thanks for the responses.

flaco

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Its feeding just holding a single shot follower in the magazine well.

I wanted to try to make a magazine fed rifle for awhile, but I've had little luck even making my 700 6BR feed.

Here's a thought starter:

http://www.6mmbr.com/Rem700magfix.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
TIA,

You'd do alot better off with a Mini-Muaser for the 6BR Norma than a full fledged 98.

At least I did - a sorta lightweight Varminter but it works real good!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Flaco,

I have been thinking of doing the same thing... on a Mauser 98 action I have....

I am actually wanting to do a switch barrel set up... I already have a 6mm Remington with a 31 inch bull barrel on it, and am now finishing the stock.... the 6mm Rem is set up with a long throat and a one in 7 twist...

But I wanted to also do a 6 BR barrel, with a one in 14 twist for varmint shooting.. also with a 31 inch bull barrel on it...for 75 grain HPs and down.. well maybe the 80 gr Ballistic Tip...

So I think you are a pretty astute guy coming up with ideas like that!!!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 22 BR on a Mauser Model 98 action but have only loaded it single shot, so can't cmt on how it feeds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire-

I'm one of your fans. I follow your posts, especially loads, and appreciate your experience.

But "... astute..."?

Nah, I think it's just another hare-brained flaco scheme.

Mainly, I got tired of waiting on a 6.5x55 from Bartlein. Poor Frank has been under the gun so long now he must be getting used to it, but... I'm jonesing for a new rifle.

Anyway, I looked in the rack, and the boss has a Krieger 7.5:1 in a medium Palma contour, and a True-Flite in 8:1.

Being as how I just sold a covey of photographs (for a book about wooden racing shells) I'm goin' for it.

I've emailed a couple of times with Doan Trevor, who builds beautiful target rifles, and he seems to think a Mauser could be made to feed, with some fancy machining, but I'm skeptical.

I'll take Bruce Drake's advice and check out the Numrich magazine block, but I still believe feeding will be a long shot.

Even if I can find the Tom Burgess post--if memory serves--that gives the formula for determining magazine dimensions from cartridge dimensions.

In the AR archives.

If worse comes to worst, I think there's a Duane Wiebe post somewhere back there that describes shaping the '98 extractor so it will pop over a case head.

Greg Tannel doesn't think much of Mausers--for accuracy--but he'll bush the firing pin.

To take full advantage of that small rifle primer.

I'm gonna use Lapua cases--no neck turning--and have Forster hone a die for minimum sizing to fit the chamber.

As usual, I'm diving off, and hoping to learn to fly on the way down.

LOL.

flaco

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I scrapped my 6BR project last weekend, needed the action for another project.

My barrel is in the classifieds if anybody's interested.