New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Barrel Nut?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just picked up a Savage 110E in 7mmRemMag for dirt cheap. The gun seems to be in sound condition (bright bore, new trigger assembly) except for that the barrel nut has a hairline split on the right side. What would have caused this? Extreme pressure? What should I do about it?

Can a person replace the barrel nut and have it headspaced and call it good or should I scrap the gun for parts?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
You can definately replace the barrel nut, I think MidwayUSA carries them as well as the special wrench to fit the grooves in the nut. If the barrel moves while removing the damaged nut, you will need a set of GO/NOGO gauges to reset the headspace but, this is an easy fix. If you like the rifle don't canabalize it or pitch it. If push comes to shove, PM me and I will buy it for what it cost you.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, so I guess should I be worried what caused the crack?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
You might want to have the barrel and the receiver magnafluxed. IMO, the nut was probably stressed too much and finally cracked. If the threads on the nut were slightly small and/or the threads on the barrel slightly large, it could happen. Savages are known for their strength and I wouldn't think that either the barrel or the reciver were damaged but, it could happen.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MThuntr:

You should check the chamber/barrel, boltlugs, and receiver. Chances are they are fine. The barrel nut is the weak link. Most likely it was over tightened or tightened up using a screwdriver and a hammer. There has been a lot of controversy over this techique in removing and replacing the Savage barrel nuts.It is frowned upon by most gunsmiths and the factory.

You can buy a barrel nut in chrome molly or stainless from Midway, Brownells, and Numrich Arms. The Savage factory requires a FFL to buy this part.

I would recomend you get a barrel nut wrench and go and No go gauges.

Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A tactical screwdriver is needed to tighten or loosen the barrel nut. Some people have used a match grade screwdriver, but a tactical model is needed. Big Grin

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recommend that you go to www.savageshooters.com and ask your questions. Most knowledgeable and helpful group of folks there.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I am willing to bet that some one removed or installed the nut with a hammer and screwdriver. The correct wrench costs about $29.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lookhere. SSS barrel nut is truer than the factory savage one. They also offer the wrench on the same page.

Here is a good article on how to setup the barrel.

Posts: 86 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 17 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay now that I know what I need to get to do this thing right.

Where do I get 7mmRemMag go and no-go gages?

I have searched Midway and the internet and nothing. I looked at the belted magnum go gages and the base diameter for 7mm is .532 not .535 like they say they are for so those won't work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you will find that all belted magnums (except the 450 Marlin) use the same gages.

Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
K3yston3:

Do you think the Sharp Shooters Supply has their barrel nuts custom made? Fred may true them as a courtesy but I'd bet they buy them in bulk from Savage or another subcontractor. I have a dealer account with Savage, and Brownells, from time to time buy from Fred and Lisa at Sharpshooters (great folks). I have never noticed any difference in the barrel nut quality.
Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
If the headspace is OK right now, why couldn't a person just draw an index line with a sharpie fine tipped marker on both the barrel and the receiver?

Then, just replace the nut and make sure the lines are proper. Use a straightedge. You also may want to paint some white out on the barrel and receiver first to get a good contrast, but it should not be necessary if you have a good light.

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the headspace can be set by using a factory cartridge after removing the firing pin, also.

Savageshooters.com is the place to take it.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote