Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1 Re chamber question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted
I saw a note on another discussion about rechambering a Ruger #1 to 300 H&H. They said a 30-06 #1 could be used.

Could someone please give me some input on what needs to be done to accomplish this, and suggestions on who does this.

thanks

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2603 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Simple rechamber and extractor job. Most any competent gunsmith could do the job.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems you are new to this.

'06 is 7.62x63mm in metric. That means 63 mm long. I think the H&H are 68mm long. With the many other rifles you have to ask if the action is long enough to handle this extra lenght. With a single shot, that is not a question. Well, maybe the Martini-Henrys. Second question is if there is enough strength/steel in the receiver to be strong enough after the larger hole is cut. I would not do this with a small ring Mauser, but they are not long enough either...

.300 H&H dates from turn of century, 1900 or so. Reportedly the belt was developed 'cause the funnel shaped case needed it to headspace and a rim was too big for bolt action magazines.

So any .30 cal single shot can have a reamer CAREFULLY run into the old chamber to enlarge it/cut a new chamber. Ruger #1 (or #3) have plenty of metal/strength for this. If this or any of its cousins suit you, "go for it."

Many gunsmiths "blew out" the shoulder to make for more powder room and performance. Mr. Weatherby "commercialized" this with his .300 Weatherby.

The case was shortened to suit the '06 length action. Later Springfields had plenty of metal/strength. First biggie was probably .308 Norma Mag. .300 Winchester Mag is in this group.
So you pays your money and takes your choice. luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, getting old. Top flight gunsmiths can be found at benchrest.com or in the Gun Digest Annual directory in the back. At the same time, basically, a gunsmith is a machinist with an FFL (Federal Firearms License). If you ask around--gun clubs, etc. Pawn shops often rework firearms that come off pawn before trying to sell them and have a good 'smith..., you may be able to find a top flight local man or even part timer who is both faster and cheaper. luck

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
thanks for the feedback.

I have never owned a #1, but have always wanted one. I have several other '06 guns, and I like the .30 calibre, So I was thinking of something different and combining in the same next purchase. My concern was the size of the case. I know in bolt guns, we have standard and magnum bolt faces. it sounds like this is not an issue in the #1, correct?

Than ks

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2603 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fromm iiranger:

quote:
...At the same time, basically, a gunsmith is a machinist with an FFL (Federal Firearms License). ...

rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
Fromm iiranger:

quote:
...At the same time, basically, a gunsmith is a machinist with an FFL (Federal Firearms License). ...

rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

That would piss off some machinists I know.
I have seen guys who call themselves gunsmiths that work on mainly the appearance of guns.
A better description of those guys would be

quote:
...At the same time, basically, a gunsmith is a jewler with an FFL (Federal Firearms License)

Which would piss off some jewelers.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
at least he was kind enough to reccomend a couple of web places where people could go to find "top flight gunsmiths." Thank God he did that!!! This board was on the verge of imploding because none of the members knew where we could find a good gunsmith! rotflmo

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, I just relized something. Several people on this board are also on the benrest.com board (I am a lurker there but never post).

So if the new guy says you have to go to br.com to find a good smith, that means none of the smiths here are any good. By deduction, that means every smith who posts on both boards has now been declared as somewhat less than "Top FLight." Big Grin

It is a good thing we got some tips from th enew guy on where to find the real talent. We have been "making do" with the likes of Steve Hughes and Mr. Wiebe. rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iiranger:

So any .30 cal single shot can have a reamer CAREFULLY run into the old chamber to enlarge it/cut a new chamber. Ruger #1 (or #3) have plenty of metal/strength for this. If this or any of its cousins suit you, "go for it."

Well, yes and no. "Any" single-shot "action" may allow it, but not every single-shot barrel will, even if of the right bore diameter.

The thing is, some barrels have the "re-inforce" area made short enough that the front of a fatter, longer, magnum chamber may leave too little barrel metal over the shoulder area of the new cartridge to safely contain the pressures at which some folks run their magnums. This is especially possible if the previous barrel had to be set back two or three threads for some reason before rechambering.

Shooting may even go okay for the first hundred shots or so after rechambering, but if just the wrong amount of metal is left, metal fatigue may later allow a failure at that point, So, even a proof round or three is not necessarily a totally positive indicator of safety.

It's amazing how little metal is actually required, but a certain amount IS required, so it pays to be careful in considering which barrel to rechamber to what.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sure there are good gunsmiths who are good machinists. I don't think the term is synonymous (SP). I DO know some good machinists and some good gunsmiths. I also know some bad gunsmiths who don't know squat about machining either. Got one just down the freeway from here.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote