New
Find
Notify
Tools

.270 Weatherby VS. 7mmSTW??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Which caliber would make a better antelope/deer/sheep rifle? Ballistically which is better? I
have been trying to find good data on both but I just don't think I am getting good data.
Some sources quote from 24"barrels and some quote 26"barrels. Can anyone give me the
bottom line. All I want to know is which would be a better suited for what I was thinking
about...Also how much more recoil would there be with the 7stw? And lastly if these were your
choices what would you chose? Thanks

Posts: 156 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
For the game you listed either one will do fine. The 270Winchester would be my pick over either of your two choices but you didn't mention it! [Wink]
I'd take the 270Wby because it will recoil less and also be able to utilize a 24" barrel without losing too much velocity. The STW has to have a 26" barrel to obtain a decent gain over a 7 Rem. mag. I've shot both and hunted with the 270Wby. and will say it is a very good killer!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually either cartridge needs a 26" barrel to take advantage of it's large capacity case.I have shot both and find very little difference in recoil.Brass is cheaper and more available for the stw and the stw is available in many different rifles so you don't have to shoot an overpriced weatherby rifle.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I'd build another Remington 700 based 257Wby.................

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both, and I would have to say that the STW is a better all around choice, from an economic point of view. As Stubblejumper mentioned, Wby brass is a lot more expensive than Rem/Win/Fed. Better bullet choices for the STW as well. I don't find the recoil of either objectionable (and not much difference between the two either). FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<David>
posted
I have both also, and agree that the 7mm has a much wider range of bullet choices. I find that my 270 Wby shoots 130gr bullets at about the same velocity as my 7STW shoots 140gr bullets. Both will do the job, but the STW has the edge on bullet weight if you want to use it for something larger than deer or antelope. The heaviest I have seen for 270 is 160gr, but 7mm's come in 175gr and Barnes even makes one at 195gr.

As for the Weatherby brass, I bought the Norma headstamp instead of Weatherby, its a bit cheaper since you can buy it in bulk. But the cheapest way is to run 7mm Rem Mag brass through a 270 Wby FL die. Makes great brass, even comes out of the die with the radiused shoulder.

[ 08-13-2002, 11:28: Message edited by: David ]

<1GEEJAY>
posted
HEY'
I built the 7mmSTW,because of the greater bullet selection available.The .284 projectile is made in many different weights,by the popular bullet mfgrs.Easier to work up loads,with all those bullets to choose from.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, sounds like the 7mm stw is the winner by far..Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate the info.

Posts: 156 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Nothing less than 26 inches for both calibers.

Which caliber you picks is your own decision. I think that the 7mm are nice, but why not a 7mm WBY or REM. I like cases with long necks soo Weatherby is often my choice. 270 wby is also a flat shooting caliber that is very nice, selection of bullets are a bit less than in 7mm.

I would have stayed away from the 7 STW, too much work for very little gain in velocity.

Cheers
/ JOHAN