New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plugging hole in chamber
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think I know the answer to this, but, I'm gonna ask anyway. I have some P14 drill rifles and some of the bores are really nice. As you know the chamber has a hole drilled through it. I was wondering if it would be feasable to thread the holes (on each side) and screw a bolt in barely protruding into the chamber and then clean it up with a finishing reamer. Then I could tie a long string to the trigger and test fire it. This might be fun to watch or it might work. Any comments or suggestions? Roger.

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How long of a string are you thinking about?

one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
you could also load a case full of Unique and a 200 gr bullet to test the patch job.
JUST KIDDING. DO NOT USE THIS LOAD OR THE PLUGGED HOLE IDEA. REBARREL.
COVEY16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I actually think it could be made to work on a .303. The problem would arise over time as crevice corrosion could weaken the threads Whatever, stand to the rear, not the side!

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I could seal the threads with Steel Bed. Just a thought. Roger

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Might I suggest that you drill several more holes in the barrel and you might have a flute.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That was funny. I almost fell out of my chair laughing. But, you know, you might have something there....Roger.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you into big bores. Though out that barrel and make a
550 Magnum or 600 OK. Or 458 Lott, etc.And if you remove barrel cut away shoulder with lathe so those square threads will release and
not crack the reciever.Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea, I found that out the hard way by cracking the receiver ring on a near perfect Remington P14. That was a long time ago and it still makes me sick just thinking about it. I don't like the big bores. They hurt too much. I wouldn't mind building a 300 H&H on one of my actions, though. I like all the old stuff. They will still get the job done....Roger.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rojelio.... I have a real interesting Remington enfield rifle . I have had it for quite awhile. It looks like a 720. I just got a e-mail from a remington society guy that said the serial numbers make it a 1927 model 30 express.
The barrel stamps XF,LK,BK indicate the barrel is 1937 and 1941

The rifle was Customized long ago. I think someone did exstensive work machining 720 features, Bolt handle, bolt guide rib,groove inside top of the rear bridge,Modified bolt stop, jeweling ,custom stock
The bolt cycles very smooth.
Im wondering who worked on it

Rick

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Could also be the worlds shortest muzzle brake! Actually, since copper crushers are screwed into holes in chambers to measure pressure, it would work. You would have to confirm thru engineering if you had enough wall thickness at the chamber and what thread pattern would be best.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wall thickness is approximately .450. That seems plenty thick. Now what grade bolt should I use. Maybe grade 8. Are there any engineers out there? Should I use fine or course threads for a better hold?......Roger

one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Grade 8 bolt is preferred.
It won't mushroom as much when it penetrates your forehead so you will get complete penetration and a good blood trail.
Grade 6 will work,but you probably won't get an exit wound.
You could tap the hole for a piece of 1/4" pipe and use the rifle for a flare launcher or a zip gun.
Put a buckshot in the pipe and use rifle for an anti satelite weapon or hook a hose to the pipe and use it as an air compressor.

Covey16
ps
I'm a retired telecommunications engineer, but I believe thats close enough for this kind of project.

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You posted this over on CSP. They told you it was a bad idea, I will too. You are dealing with 45,000 psi. If it lets go it will hurt you bad or just plain kill you. The plug on the left side stands a good chance of hitting your left bicep. The pieces of bolt will shot to out to the left and right and possibly hit some innocent. The gas and wood spinters will probably blind, and possibly labotimize you. "Steel bed" in this aplication might as well be library paste. Please quit before you or someone else get hurt or worse ...........please! Buy a barrel for a hundred bucks, turn the outside, thread and chamber it. It is simple and safe. How much is your life worth?

The pieces of p-14 barrel will make nice 32 cal pistol barrels. Might be usefull for a 32-20 carbine barrel. You could make chamber inserts for a shotgun. My demilled P-14 barrels made good stakes for my dog's leash. Hey, by the way, turn the shoulder off the barrel before you put the tork to it and you won't break any more receivers.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those actions I always thought were wasted on small
cartridges, so throw away that barrel and get a new one in 300H&H or 375H&H, as you say you like classic cartridges..
The military Enfields are as great as the Model 30 and can be sporterized to look the same.Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is CSP?..... I'd like to go check out that other thread that you're talking about. Thanks for all the advice. Roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
What is CSP?.....

http://www.jouster.com/

The thread is older than they keep, good stuff though.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote