Notify
Tools

Can you 'sleeve' a Magnaported barrel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of badboymelvin
posted
Hi guys,

I have just acquired a Winchester M70 in .338WM that I like very much.

The only downside is that it is Maganported.
Not only does it have the slots facing up, it also has a slot each side of the barrel facing straight to the side.
I'm assuming the ones on the top are to reduce muzzle flip and the ones on the side are to reduce recoil..

Now, at the range I've heard a few rifles that have been Magnaported - and they were loud!

So my question is; can one machine a sleeve for the outside of the barrel to cover the ports? Would this effectively eliminate the porting without detriment to accuracy etc...?

Now, I know I can just dock the barrel but I really like the barrel length the way it is.

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Russ

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...

Posts: 160 | Location: Melbourne, Australia  | Registered: 19 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Magna Port's don't seem to dump as much noise as Brakes. Certainly don't dump the over pressure like brakes.
If you can get by with muffs at the range, I would not worry about it. What you do in the field about muzzle blast seems to be a personal thing. I try first to only shoot once...and never really hear that shot but I do have a pair of soft ear plugs on a cord around my neck in case I remember to put them in. BTW; you just can't beat the .338WM for big critters. Some are as good, but none are better.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Of course you can do do as you describe; in fact, some brakes have sleeves that you turn to shut them off.
It will simply block the ports and leave the bore as it was.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Over time I wonder if the capped ports would fill in with fouling and eventually become plugged flush with the bore? Don’t know if it would have any affect other than a place for moisture to collect and corrosion start. I have no idea, but I’d check it every now and then til I was sure either way.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1182 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Maybe after a few thousand rounds. I wouldn't worry about it.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I believe one of Saeed's 375/404's has a sleeve over a brake. Ask him if it's created any trouble with cleaning.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2811 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have installed the type of brake that has a rotating sleeve over it to shut it off; it does not collect fouling. How much fouling do you get in your barrel anyway?

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a reason it was Magnaported. 338 has the nastiest kick of any rifle I have ever shot, except perhaps the Weatherbys. Perhaps my experience was due to the fact that the rifle (a Ruger 77) had a narrow hard rubber buttpad but boy, it was punishing. I would rather shoot a 458 Lott than that rifle.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Funny you should mention that because Saturday someone brought a 77 338 in and said the same thing.
And he had cut the barrel off to 20 inches. I put a 24 inch barrel back on it and am putting a decelerator pad on it, and might even put half a pound of lead in the butt.
338s kick harder due to the recoil velocity; a component of recoil which everyone forgets; it is as important as recoil energy.