Find
Notify
Tools

Should I Do IT Glass or Pillar
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been doing my own trigger jobs,Drilling and tapping
Along with recoil pads,cutting stocks to fit.
But I Have been paying some one else to glass bed my Rifles.
125.00 a pop,get's up there after a few.I feel like I can
do this. I just picked up a rem 700 BDL 30.06,It has some fine wood work ''the best i have seen on a BDL''I would be pretty sick if I couldn't get the action out of the stock!
And I know what some will say ''Leave it to the PRO''.
Anyone been there done that and had good results?
What's better Glass or pillar?
Thanks! Reloaderlen

Posts: 237 | Location: Wesson ms | Registered: 12 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Best is a combination of both if done correctly. A good glass bed job is great if you simply follow the instructions that come with AcraGlass or other kits. Be sure to use a good amount of release agent and you will not have any worries about gluing the action into the stock. Be sure to fill any action voids with clay or other fillers to keep the bedding compound out of the recesses. Also place a layer or two of electrical tape on the front,sides and bottom of the recoil lug to give proper clearance after final assembly. Also placing a layer of tape along the stock next to the action keeps the overflow of bedding compound from getting on the finished stock. Also strip the action of trigger etc.

Good Luck. http://www.acraglas.com/

Use this link to get full instructions.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do both. Metal pillars are more technical to put in than poured. Poured pill only required drill your stock holes out over sized waay over sized. I use a 9/16. Plug the hole on the inletted side for the bottom metal. fill her up with glass or steel bed. Let it set up re-drill your holes and bed the whole action with glass. Use inletting pins. Once it is set up flip it over and do the bottom metal. Hardest part is the prep other than pushing the gun into the glass the first time. Put play-do and masking tape where ever you do not want to glue to go. Spray on release agent works great but it is salty. I have been told by a stock maker sylicone spray works great. I would ask a few opinions. I like it becuase it goes everywhere and nothing is missed. It is also very thin. Bedding is not hard at all, just messy

one of us
posted Hide Post
An old trick, I first read of in Carmichael's Book of the Rifle, if the bedding does stick, is to place the rifle in the freezer overnight. Then take it out and tap the barrel gently away from the stock with a rubber mallet. The different expansion ratios of the bedding compound versus the steel of the barreled action will cause them to seperate. It worked for me once when I needed it.

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Len, As I read your post last night I had just set the barreled action in the stock of my first real bedding job. Everything seemed to have gone well but I decided not to comment until I actualy seperated the action from the stock this morning! Of course I havn't shot it yet but it seperated with little effort and I am very pleased with what I saw. I was using Accraglass and a McMillan stock.

Like you, I am a do it yourselfer on anything I can do and some things that I found out to late that I should have left to someone more capable

If you decide to go with Accraglass it is not at all HARD to do. I went over the directions a couple of times just to be sure, set everything I needed and some things I didn't on the kitchen table that I covered with an old blanket and spent about an hour and a half with it.

Good Luck if you decide to go this route. I'm sure things will go fine as long as you can follow the directions, pretty simple realy.

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote