New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opening up an action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a commercial FN Mauser presently chambered in .270. I'm considering having it rebarreled it to 9.3x64 - on the premise that I'd have .375 H&H capabilities with less difficult alterations. From a gunsmithing point of view, am I thinking correctly? How serious would the magazine and feed rail alterations be? Would it be substantially less than going to .375 H&H? I want a stout workhorse for everyday use, hopefully in a standard action, without too much fuss and bother.

[ 04-23-2003, 23:25: Message edited by: Tumbleweed ]

Posts: 5758 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone?

one of us
posted Hide Post
It took me some time to dig up the info. It's been over a decade since I worked with this caliber.

I have two reamers, The JGS has a long, shallow tapered throat. The Clymer has a standard American type throat. This will affect how you seat your bullets, vs the magazine.

The length of my RWS sample ammo is 3.32 oal. The custom triggerguards I make are 3.500 inside length. So there is some room to play with depending on your box length. The ideal rear width for the 9.3x64, is .950". This is only .050" wider than the 30-06 size box. So no big deal there. Just some rail work to make the larger case feed.

The bolt face and extractor will have to be opened up to fit the bigger diameter.

Overall this conversion works better than changing a standard action to a belted magnum.

Posts: 1452 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
J Wisner;

Thank you very much for your input. You've confirmed my choice of caliber - I was rather reluctant to go a belted magnum, and I'm sure the 9.3x64 will do anything I need and more.

This magazine box is 3.34 long, and a bit tight at the back and shoulder(.894 and .725). What are you asking for the longer ones that you build? Is the original bottom metal compatible? (This one is the original, unhinged style - which suits me fine.)

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I've built a 9.3X64 on a FN Mauser action. The mag box required no changes. the bolt face had to be opened slightly and the extractor modified slightly for the rim.. The ramp and rails required a bare minimum of massaging. This is a real powerhouse of a cartridge and watch out for pressure signs. Mine hit 2900 fps with a 280 gr. Nosler Bt. - Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That caliber is a special order, delivery would be about 6 months. Retail cost is 435.00.

Measure the side wall thickness of your guard. You can normally remove .015" a side to widen it and not hurt anything. Every little bit helps in the width. Don't go below .035' wall thickness.

Posts: 1452 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote