THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    1st time Weatherby has disappointed me, need trigger info

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st time Weatherby has disappointed me, need trigger info
 Login/Join

posted
I was lightening up my trigger on my Mark V (US model) per the instruction on the website and backing out the trigger pull set screw. Unfortunately I went too far, it fell to the ground and now is lost! So I call Weatherby to find the thread pitch so I can go get another one. They refused to give me the thread pitch and inform me that I have to send it into a service center! I can't believe this....

Do anyone happen to know the size/pitch of this set screw?

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PendletonCowboy:
I was lightening up my trigger on my Mark V (US model) per the instruction on the website and backing out the trigger pull set screw. Unfortunately I went too far, it fell to the ground and now is lost! So I call Weatherby to find the thread pitch so I can go get another one. They refused to give me the thread pitch and inform me that I have to send it into a service center! I can't believe this....

Do anyone happen to know the size/pitch of this set screw?

Thanks

I don't know the size off hand but, if you have a good assortment of drills and taps it can be whatever size you want. Big Grin

Seriously, you can easily determine the size and pitch by force threading a tapered wooden dowel of the approximate size into the hole and then measuring that. In the meantime I will see if I can't locate the info for you.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, I think the screw that you lost is one of two. Check the hole and see if another one is in there. That first one is just a "cheater" lock screw.

Be careful when you adjust that trigger. If you go too light, the safety won't work.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There are 2 set screw adjustments, one for trigger and the other one is for sear engagement. They are probably the same screw but I would rather not mess with the sear unless I HAVE too!

thanks for the help!

posted Hide Post
Found the answer!
8-36

Thanks all...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Run a magnet over the "lost screw" area.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
You will need a lighter spring if you want to go very low.

Did the factory spring fall out also? It is directly behind the screw.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i polished the sear engagement and ground down the spring to reduce the pre-load on it to reduce the pull weight. The spring is slightly larger than the set screw hole so it won't fall out the bottom. With those changes and the set screw completely backed off the trigger spring (since it is missing) I have slightly over 18 Oz of pull on a 5 pull average with the Lyman trigger gauge. I will bump it up a bit with the trigger set screw tonight.

One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted Hide Post
Just curious, why do you want such a light trigger pull on a hunting rifle? I prefer around 3lbs.

Posts: 366 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where you at Pendleton Cowboy? I may be able to help.

Blagg Rifles, Eastern OR

Posts: 103 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 06 August 2009Reply With Quote
<Mike McGuire>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
You will need a lighter spring if you want to go very low.

Did the factory spring fall out also? It is directly behind the screw.

The spring is captive. Have to take trigger off and apart to get a new spring in. With a new sping and also with sear egagement they will nearly always come down to a pound withou trouble and ith the advantage you can adjust without taking the rifle apart.