New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Barrel ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In your opinion, what make of barrel do you feel in best suited for a hunting rifle. I have decided to have ne hunting rifle built on a 700 action that I just bought instead of buying a barrled action from MRC. I am still going to order one of the lefty actions from MRC for a future project but for now I'm going with the Remington action.
The barrel will be stainless, either 22 or 24 inches long and chambered in .280 Rem,.
I also just bought an HS Precision stock for a long action LH so I'll use it. Looking at a 5.5X16x44 Nikon Monarch and have a set of Leupold bases and rings. A harris bi-pod should round it out.
So what barrel would you use Shilen, Hart, PAC-NOR, Douglas etc......
I want a good accurate rifle, but it doesn't have to be a 1000 yard benchrest type of gun.
Droptine

Posts: 30 | Location: Texas | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
You're naming some good quality barrels there. What I would do is call them up and find out who has what you need in stock and get that, rather than choose brand X and have a 6 month wait.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
get a Lothar-Walther

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer Lilja or Douglas. If you go to the Douglas website, they will also chamber and install for you. All of mine have been installed by custom smiths, though.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your going to put a telescope like that on it and a bipod, go with the 24" at least. You might even have it finished at 25 or 26 inches to get a bit more velocity since this isn't going to be a rifle you use in woods or offhand.

Posts: 1524 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I have decided on a Lothar-Walther
24 inch stainless fluted 10 twist. After reading all the post concerning barrels both here and at the Campfire I believe it is the one to go with.
I sent them several emails with questions and Mr. Woodall promptly replied to each one,which is nore than I can say for some of the other barrel makers I have tried to contact. I also looked at the site that has a lot of proof targets on rifles with Lothar-Walther barrels and it has me convinced. Now to find a good smith to install it properly and I'll be set.
Thanks for all of the input.
Droptine

Posts: 30 | Location: Texas | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As KevinNY says that's a pretty heavy rifle without having an extreme cartridge. There have been some good points made here as of late in the WSM thread that to either build it light and short or go all the way and make it a long range hammer. Your sort of in the middle there.

When the Winchester Featherweight came out it made the pre war style Standard Grade obsolete to my view.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Droptine:
In your opinion, what make of barrel do you feel in best suited for a hunting rifle. I have decided to have ne hunting rifle built on a 700 action that I just bought instead of buying a barrled action from MRC. I am still going to order one of the lefty actions from MRC for a future project but for now I'm going with the Remington action.
The barrel will be stainless, either 22 or 24 inches long and chambered in .280 Rem,.
I also just bought an HS Precision stock for a long action LH so I'll use it. Looking at a 5.5X16x44 Nikon Monarch and have a set of Leupold bases and rings. A harris bi-pod should round it out.
So what barrel would you use Shilen, Hart, PAC-NOR, Douglas etc......
I want a good accurate rifle, but it doesn't have to be a 1000 yard benchrest type of gun.
Droptine

Posts: 121 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote