Find
Notify
Tools

3.5% Nickel steel welding rod
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,
I have to weld a 1911 frame is the 3.5% Nickel steel welding rod from brownells good for this?
Thanks
John

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it will work OK, but use it as a last resort. You're talking about stick weld, and that is difficult for even a pro to control on a small weld. Rather if you can't do it go so someone who can do a good job with a heli-arc. (TIG). It'll only take a few second to do, the weld will be metalurgically correct, and finishing it will be 1/10 the work

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what they use for steel but the nickel steel rod may not blue the same.I would agree that tig would be a better way to weld.

one of us
posted Hide Post
3.5 nickel steel works very well with a tig welder. I use it a lot for bolt handles, blues nicely, that is what Brownells recomends it for.

It will work well on your 1911 also, this rod was developed for aircraft welding.

Another good rod for tig welding on gun steel is Tartan. Only catch is you have to buy a minimum of 25 pounds I believe, which is kind of expensive. I split an order with another gunsmith. Now we have a "life time" supply.

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Brownell's nickel rod works well for tig welding. It blues very well with most caustic blue baths. At $26/lb for the 1/16 dia., it's kind of expensive. You can buy it in 1/4 lb packages, even more $$ per pound.

Craftsman, that was 8# for $100 plus shipping. Have you used any yet? I did one bolt and I'm getting ready to do another. Both for the same customer and neither one gets blued so I can't tell you about that part. It does weld nice. I'm thinking 4# may go faster than you'd think if you use it for more than just gun work.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For those of us without a Tig setup, how does this rod work with OxAct torch? I'm thinking of bolt handles etc. prior to heat treating. Thanks.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
snowcat

Brownell's 3.5% nickel steel rod works very well with oxy-act torch too. I used it that way on a lot of bolts and other gun parts for several years before I got a tig welder.

You dont have to have the bolt re-heat treated after welding a bolt handle. Use a good heat sink for the body and lugs, set your torch pretty hot, bring the parts up to temperature as quickly as possible, then back the settings off to a light hiss and weld as normal. When finished use a small tip to heat the cocking cam to a dull red in dim light, have a can of water ready and quinch. Dont hold the bolt with your hand over the holes on the belly of the bolt. Dont ask me how I know.

Mark, I knew that Tartan rod was expensive, just didnt remember the poundage. I have not hot blued anything with it either.

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craftman
You have a PM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Craftsman-
I really appreciate the information.
Jay Kolbe

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are welcome

Craftsman